Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime 'anything' goes to Japan

Marv
Marv Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read that prime meat of any kind, the best apples from here in WA. state, prime corn from Kansas, prime logs and just about anything else that is first class prime goes to Japan because they are willing to pay the price for it.
As far as meat goes, the resturants get second choice after Japan and we are stuck with what's left.
If you want excellent to great beef you have to pay for certified Angus and only a few places carry that. Other wise we have to settle for what we get and then try to pick out the best of that. Leaving the rest for those that either dosen't know any better or dosen't care.
The great thing about barbecue, you don't need prime meat to have an awesome meal.[p]Marv[p]Marv

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Dang Marv,
    I did not know this. To the tune of $300 per pound. Interesting stuff.[p]Hope you and the "twins" are well.
    NB

[ul][li]Big Buck Beef[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marv, if you want restaurant/hotel quality meats, buy from the people who supply restaurants and hotels. They'll sell to you. Some have minimum quantity/$ buys, and their prices will be considerably higher than a meat market's prices. Shop around.

• Marv ,[p]
    That's the propaganda us Iowans put out to keep the good beef in-state! [p]Some may call us idoits, but at least we're well fed![p]
    TT

• Marv,
    Where are you buying meat?
    Jim

• Marv
    Jim Minion, I buy my ribs (IBP) from Cash & Carry. I have found them to be better than Sea Board brand or Fisher[p]Marv

• Marv
    Nature Boy, Thank you for the back up on my story. I am NOT saying the meat the we Americans use is bad, just that the real prime is shipped to Japan.
    And as far as lumber goes, I do know for a fact that this happens for I used to work for one of the shippers.
    Japan will ONLY buy the best of anything........and will pay the preimium price it demands. Growers & shippers can get 5-10 times the price of what they can get for the same product in America.[p]Marv

• Marv,
    I use Cash & Carry also but I have had some good product from Fisher from time to time and they don't inject or tumble product.
    How is business right now?
    Jim

• Marv
    Jim Minion, I too have had good Fisher ribs, but quality is not consistant enough.
    Business is still a little slow, doing a lot of booking on the phone for later events.
    Catered a party last Friday evening then the next one is this Friday and another one (or two depending how you look at it) on next Tuesday. The Tuesday one is for Simpson Timber Company in Shelton, but I have to feed one shift @ 11:30 A.M. and the second shift @ 9:00 P.M. Will arrive @ 5:00 A.M. and leave about 10:00 P.M. Kind of have to figure it as 2 seperate parties.[p] How's bizz with you?[p] Marv

• Marv,
    Like you I'm booking a lot thru sept right now, but this is a side bus for us until September when my wife retires and we go at with more vigor.
    With the Pacific NW BBq Assoc I have a lot going on for the next few months and will be in Memphis in May for a week for MIM. Going to be a busy year.
    Jim

• Tanker Tim,[p]I would never call you an "Idoit"![p]Sespe Pete

• Marv
    Jim Minion, I wish I could attend more of the costests in the PNWB, but I am busy catering. If I do get to attend one, I will be sure to look you up.[p]Marv[p]PS I have never attended a Paul Kirk class, is it worth it?

• Marv,
    It's worth it to new cooks and someone who is going to start competing. I'd say if you would like to come by his class and hang out we will be there and would be great to talk in person.
    Jim

• Marv, While I agree with your comments, it is my opinion the USDA beef rating system needs a complete over haul. The link below leads to an article that appeared in the "Kansas City Star" quite some time ago. So long ago that the practices described could have been in place by now.[p]Read the article and tell me what you think.[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy[p]

[ul][li]Beef rating system article[/ul]
  • Marv
    Jim Minion, That would be great. Would you please remind me of the date when it comes close as I already tossed the flyer.
    Heck, I could even bring my BBQ for someone to use for the class.[p]Marv

• Marv
    Juggy, I read the article in its entirety and agree that the system of grading meat needs overhauled.
    I agree, that part of the tenderness but also the flavor of the meat is dependent on what is fed to the animal.
    I remember in my previous life (former marriage) when we raised our own grain fed beef on my in laws place, the meat sure tasted better. I hope that wasn't just in my mind.
    It is said that beef or pork that is not allowed to roam much (kept in close quaters) produces a more tender meat.

As far as the super prime going to Japan, I think if most people (the consumers) really knew that, they would force a change in that policy too.[p] But hey, as a business man myself, maybe I could package my Chicken & rib dinners and ship to Japan and get $50.00 per meal instead of what I get now. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[p]Marv