Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Polder (write in for new features)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All.....
Last Saturday I was slummin' around the cooking area of Linen n' Things and found the new Polder that monitors meat AND external (grid) temps. It works very well. I think the cost was $27.00 or so. I got an idea for additional functionality for the polder in regards to monitoring the grid temps. I emailed polder ( info@polderinc.com ) with my suggestion. The email is shown below. I welcome all of your opinions and if you think it's a good idea, maybe email polder with the same request. If they get enough positive requests for this option, maybe they'll build some!!!![p]............Here's the email I sent to Polder......[p]Hello,
I just purchased your latest remote thermometer, the one that also monitors grid (oven) temps along with internal meat temps. I think it works very well as it helps me monitor my hard wood fire at meat level for long, low temp bbq cooks (like hickory smoking a pork shoulder for 16 hours at 225F). I use your products in my Big Green Egg smoker.[p]The additional feature I would like to see is to be able to to set the external temp alarm in a range. That is, I could set the external temp alarm to go off if the grid temps get either too low or too high. For example, if I wanted to smoke a pork shoulder at 225F, I could set the minimum external temp alarm to sound at 185F (fire might be going out) and set the maximum external temp alarm to sound at 275F (smoker vents need to be adjusted).[p]I am sure this would be a very popular item especially with the very large number of low and slow bbq cooks out there.[p]I look forward to your response.[p]Respectfully Yours,[p]Jeff Irish[p]...............End of Email...............[p]Have a great day everyone!!
lns

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    rcheck.jpg
    <p />lo 'n slo,[p]Actually Polder just buys those units from the same Chinese company that makes them for a dozen other companies and stamps whatever name they want on them. Polder, Radio Shack, Sunbeam, Cookes, Martha Stewart, etc. [p]How does this new unit measure grid temp and internal temp of meat? Does it just have two probes or something different? The Maverick (Remote Check) has two probes but the alarm only goes off when a temp is reached - no alarm for fires going out.
    http://www.tm52.com/bge/rcheck.jpg[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's place[/ul]
  • Tim M,
    The probe is straight, not bent at a right angle like your pics. At the end where the probe connects to the cable is a small (approx 1/4" dia x 3/8" long) cylinder. This is the external temp probe. It's all one unit. I don't have pic's, sorry. What seems cool is this second probe (if the probe is inserted horizontally into the meat) will measure the temp at meat level (grate level)[p]lns

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lo n' slo,[p]I thought I was up to date on Polder stuff - I have not seen that rascal though. I hope someone posts a pic of it. How much is it??[p]Tim
  • Tim M,
    around $27. there was another post here a couple of days ago.[p]lns

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    lo 'n slo, I sent in my email, thanks[p]Marv

• 8588thermometers.jpg
    <p />I didn't have the probe in front of me & I had to guess on the dimension of the second sensor (my bad). I way guessed wrong on the size. Anyway, here's a pic of the new device showing the external temp probe (it's the cylinder on the end of the meat probe)and a link to where I found it.[p]lns
    [ul][li]The Phantom Polder[/ul]