Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT looking for a good puter forum, cant stay onlin

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a problem staying online, need some geek service. any help appreciated.

Comments

• Do you have dial-up or broadband access?

Spacey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    There are a lot of variables and possibilities to your potential problem. Could even be malware/spyware.

You are going to have to be a lot more specific as to the problem and not knowing what you are working with makes it impossible to even guess.

If you are completly at a loss as to the computer, possibly one of your kids or older grandkids (if there any older ones) or even neighbors might get you closer to defining the problem.

I am sure there are a lot of computer forums but again you are going to have to be very specific as to what you have equipment wise and what type of connection you are using.

Just a thought. If the problem is with this board, remember the forum will log a member off after 1 hour on inactivity. Most dial up connections will have an inactivity log off time also.

Cable or DSL should not have any auto logoff.

Kent
  • we are in the boonies, we have satellite. Modem is fine, cables are good.
    Xplornet techie seemed to think it was my computer. Maybe my network card. ??

gayle
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Gramma,

I can't recommend Geeks to Go highly enough. They're smart, fast and, best of all, completely free. They've pulled me out of some ugly jams before and I practically had to hit them over the head to accept a donation. I rarely get service this good out of people I'm paying.

Just register, go to the proper forum, post your problem and wait for a tech to be assigned to your case. It will be a matter of an hour or two before you have your own personal geek helping.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I love it when people say its the computer and the compter people say its the connection...

I guess the network card could possibly be bad but that isn't very likely. Do you know if your network connection is built into the motherboard or do you have a NC Card (network card?

How old is your computer, windows or Mac?

I have no experience with satellite connections so I am winging it here...
    Has your connection ever worked properly for a long period of time?
    Is it raining or snowing or very cloudy? (those can cause problems with satellite TV reception - I would think it too can cause problems with computer connections.

Hopefully, someone using satellite will jump in.

Kent
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    On satalite you can lose reception due to weather condition, like heavy rain and snow, also if your unit (rec.) is dialing up may also disconnect your internet access. Not likely a NIC problem
  • Grandpas Grub
    Jeffersonian,

Good call on this. I have never heard of G2G before, interesting site.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    They are top-notch tech help and will stay with you until the problem is fixed. They've helped me with two malware issues that had me all but dead in the water. One was an old-timer who helped me from his ship in the Caribbean (!) and another was a brilliant gal in Belgium. I'd recommend them if they were a pay service...that they do this for free is mind-boggling.
  • Weather does have an effect on my connection, but, good today. Actually I am really good right now, but have been cut off the internet 4 times.

got to be my puter, all is good on the router side!
  • Grandpas Grub
    From his ship in the Carribean, how would that be.

The malware stuff can be pretty nasty at time.

I have a something with this computer that is just chappin me off. I have also got something I want to do with emails for the computers here and it looks like I am going to have to buy (build) a server which I really don't want to do.

Thanks for the tip.

Kent
  • Jeffersonian
    I asked him (handle: RatHat) what he was doing in the middle of the ocean (it was the Gulf, now that I think of it) and it was some deep-sea operation he was in charge of. I think he was on a satellite link.

Take your problem to 'em...if it can be fixed they'll fix it.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Do you test for virus AND malware/spyware. You should have at least two programs for spyware/malware that you run often.

You can go on line to MicroTrend and they will have a free Virus/malware/spyware test. When I get in trouble I always default to that site to give things a check and eliminate some of the questions.

It is really not too likely that you have hardware problems expecially with your Ethernet card (NIC card). With that said nothing is impossible.

Here is the link (you should bookmark it).

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

The test will say 'Scan Now It's Free'

It looks like they have a new scan out too.

Anyway this is a great site and a very useful tool.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Aaahhh, you ruined my mental picture...

I was dreaming of this guy on a large personal ship sitting back in the sun with some fishing poles and some Mahi Mahi cookin on the mini. (anyway I was wishin that was me).

Kent
  • will try, dont know if i can stay on line long enough to explain! thanks!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Is there a chance your dish has gone a little out of allignment - how secure is the installation.
  • I have satellite too, and this is the best forum I've found.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

They can help you figure out if it's the dish or something else.

Good Luck!!