Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XTREME OT: Coffee ground eating dog - Danger?

eggbasket
eggbasket Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The dang dog ate this morning's grounds out of the trash. 2, 55 lb pounders. Don't know which one or if both shared in the mess? Websites say can be poisonous but no help after that. Any thoughts or experience. We just paid the vet over $200 for xrays, exam and pain pills (wanted to take myself after getting bill) for what is probably arthritis.

I don't know whether to stay up and wait and for what.
Help appreciated. :sick:

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    I AM NOT A VET but was pre vet 2years and grad. B.S animal science. In high enough doses cafene can be poision to any thing but dog didn't get enough for that if I am reading 2 1/2 lbs used grounds not 2,55 like you typed. I would suggest you put the dog outside OR you might have 2 meses in the morning. I would monitor dog and if acting out of ordinary (off feed, not drinking, lethargic ect) would take him in. Will probably have a belly ace and the green apple quick step but thats it. Give the vet a call in morning to be sure but wouldn't worry tonight. AGAIN I AM NOT A VET!!!
  • JLOCKHART29
    By the way the new anti inflamatory non steriodal meds out the last 10 years are real life savers for old dogs. Rimadyl is one that I am parshall to. As with anything differant subjects will respond differant but have had real good results with mine.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    I put 1/4 of a 1/2 strength asprin in our 13 year old poodle's water dish every morning. She seems to do pretty well on that.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    ASPCA poison control center for pets:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc&JServSessionIdr004=1wdxsjhy21.app23b

You may be able to register and find an online answer, or you can call the number listed. The phones are manned 24/7. I have called and received general information for no charge.
  • JLOCKHART29
    How the dog doing this morning?
  • eggbasket
    Thanks for the feed back. My post was confusing. I have two 55lb dogs and didn't know which one ate it(or maybe both). There was probably only a half a cup of grounds in the trash. I just kept an eye on them and everything went well. I looked for poison control numbers on the web but the fine print said there may be a $60 fee. Now my pets are worth much more than that :cheer: But I didn't think that for their size that we would have much problem.
    Thanks again to all. I was gone all day yesterday so missed getting back until now.
    Have a great day!
  • eggbasket
    Thanks for the link. I will save it for future and hope I don't need it.

Have a good day.
    C
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi, How did the dogs make out? I have been away and not online for a week so missed your post. This made me smile and brought back a very bad memory, but a funny one if you are a little warped LOL. We had two deaf dalmatians and one was a very bad trash hound. We even bought a trash compactor to try to keep her out of it. It took her 3 days to figure out that stepping hard enough on the front would open it. meanwhile she destroyed the front of it kicking and kicking it. Anyways she got it open and feasted on a lot of good stuff including coffee grounds. We cleaned it all up and went to bed. I did not realize that she ate all those. they slept with us and she liked to be under the covers. both of them did. LOL about 2:30 i woke up and it was not pretty. I will say no more but we all ended up in the shower and we slept in the guest room the rest of the night. the smell of coffee grounds that have visited a dogs insides are not good to say the least. LOL It is a good thing they were our babies. LOL Julie
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hi, How did the dogs make out? I have been away and not online for a week so missed your post. This made me smile and brought back a very bad memory, but a funny one if you are a little warped LOL. We had two deaf dalmatians and one was a very bad trash hound. We even bought a trash compactor to try to keep her out of it. It took her 3 days to figure out that stepping hard enough on the front would open it. meanwhile she destroyed the front of it kicking and kicking it. Anyways she got it open and feasted on a lot of good stuff including coffee grounds. We cleaned it all up and went to bed. I did not realize that she ate all those. they slept with us and she liked to be under the covers. both of them did. LOL about 2:30 i woke up and it was not pretty. I will say no more but we all ended up in the shower and we slept in the guest room the rest of the night. the smell of coffee grounds that have visited a dogs insides are not good to say the least. LOL It is a good thing they were our babies. LOL Julie