Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT perforation

Options
NooBBQ
NooBBQ Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK this question is almost too simple, too embarassing to ask, but with all the research I could not find it.

When doing ABT's in a upright grill stand, why do you need to poke a small hole in the bottom? Doesn't that make the creamcheese spill out?

nooBBQ

Comments

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Options
    Not much of an expert, however I have never poked any holes in my ABT's
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Mine are usually overstuffed so have gaps all over. Not intentionaly

ATBS.jpg
  • Luscombe
    Options
    Hi All,

Since it's snowing here in Hot-lanta and now it really feels like Wisconsin, Oh Yeah, I decided I would get some steaks and cook them in the egg out in the snow.

I picked up a couple flat-irons and a london broil this morning before the weather hit us. I have never done a London Broil on the egg. Do you T-rex them like ribeyes and flat irons or is there a better technique. The London Broil is about an inch thick.

If you help me, I promise I will post photos.

Now....where did I put that snow mobile:)

Gary
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The only holes that I've made in ABT's were done with my incisors! ; - )

Rascal
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    that hole in the bottom of the pepper is so when you push in the cream cheese, the air in the pepper has a way to get out such that the pepper is completely filled with the cheese. make the vent hole small and the cream cheese will not run out cause the pepper will shrink up and the hole will close. ;)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hey Rick,

I have not heard that theory before .... but it has merit. Do you fill then with a pneumatic caulking gun? Heheee.

I usually prick the bottoms of the upright ones to let some of the juices out.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    i think i read that somewhere about the air pocket... maybe on one of the vertical pepper rack websites?

or maybe i just made it up? i can't remember.

i like to put the cream cheese into a baggie and cut out one corner and pipe it into the pepper. you can fill a whole lota peppers quickly with that method and it doesn't make a mess. ;)
  • Great idea with the cream cheese bag. Never thought of it. Since its snowing in Atlanta, I'm about to throw some on with some BB's.