Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone with experience...

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier but I posted recently about my mis-hap with parchment paper melting a section of my gasket. I have the "new" gasket in my possesion but want to know why I couldn't just replace the top and bottom sections of gasket instead of the whole thing? It's a brand new egg and happened on only the second cook so the rest of the gasket is nearly perfect. Couldn't I just clean up the spots that need it and "patch in" the new pieces? Anyone know of a reason this wouldn't work?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but my job is to look for things that MIGHT go wrong.

If you leave any gap large enough for heat to escape between the ends of the spliced patch, you could find your gasket gradually cooking back from that gap.

Over time, if the gasket shrinks back, you could find yourself in the same situation.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I've done this and it works fine. Just be sure you butt the new pieces up tight with the old........