Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Started

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On it went at about 7:30 this morning. I don't need it 'til tomorrow evening, so figgered I'd do in the sunlight this time. Elder Ward's tried and true method, 5.5 pound, Egg settling in at about 240. This is my second Pulled Pork run. First time fire went out after about eight hours or so I think because I had too little lump arranged too loosely. Butt was great, though. Hope I've got it right this time. This stuff sure is fun.

Comments

• Gandolf,
    "arranged too loosely"?
    For no longer than you'll need to do a 5.5 butt I think ye ol' raise dome, dump lump to top of ring will work fine and you can avoid the jigsaw procedure EW proposes for lonnnnnnnnng cooks. I know I went 20 hours last weekend with a 8.5 using that dump approach. JMHO of course...though I'm right! ^oo^~

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    kat,
    Maybe, I just didn't have enough, but it burned down through the center and left the outside like new and went out. Soooo, I've puzzled this time and added to just above the fire box. Medium Egg.

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Gandolf,
    I have two medium eggs. I use the dump method for lump. I fill it to the top of the fire ring. The smoking wood is mixed into the top few inches. I hope this lhelps.
    Fireball

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Gandolf,
    I sometimes notice that I am not getting an even burn and all the lump on the side is untouched as well. When this happens I just take a coat hanger and run it down the inside of the egg and get all the lump back even and more towards the center. Now I always just check right before going to bed and haven't had any problems the last few times.
    Mark

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Gandolf,[p]Try breaking a starter into three pieces, and place one in the middle of the lump and two on the sides. Or, get three starter cubes and place them the same way. This will get the lump burning in three places, and you should get an even fire.