Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great discussion

Options
sdbelt
sdbelt Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't really have anything further to add to the thread "difference in quality", particularly the discussion that dealt with competitive cooking, but I did want to remark at how refreshing it was to witness a constructive conversation around a potentially controversial topic.[p]For those that have participated in competitive cooking and chose to share your perspectives: Thanks from this end. My good friend AZGator recently attended a competition locally and he came back raving about the experience. He'll be heading down to Tucson soon to attend another.[p]But again, congratulations to the forum! I do appreciate it when at least some of the threads I participate don't need to be deleted. [p]--sdb

Comments

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Options
    sdbelt,
    In my mind, the "competitive" nature of this style of cooking vs. others, brings out the best in everybody...usually. In my experience, friends who are "non-ceramic" smokin' buddies, work damn hard at delivering their superior version of a cook...and simply, look forward to how I might best them with what I come up with. So, on a more relaxed level, my competition simply is confined to other Q'ers, who can crank out some pretty righteous food on their cookers, as well. Doesn't matter if you're entered in a contest, or just receiving good friends on your patio....it's always---all good!
    Big Murth

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    sdbelt,Its not a matter of wether its a ceramic cooker or any other type of cooker, its more a point of cooking in general.........this stuff about one cooker being better than another is trivial.....granted, there are cookers that have different 'attributes'than ohters but 'heat is heat' and its all how you maintain that heat to accomplish what we set out to do, and that is to make great bbq, whether its to feed your friends or to impress the judges....[p]I`ll be honest with you, it means a HELL of a lot more to me to please my friends/family and to look at their faces when they try something from my bbq that they have never tryed before then it is to please ANY judge.......don`t get me wrong, it sure is sweet to go up on stage with your bbq buddies to collect an award, but there ain't a hell of a lot wrong with the praises that come from the people we are closest to....[p]Mop

• Big Murth,
    The reason I've liked this forum is their some very imaginative cooks here, there may be more here doing new things than any where else I go.
    Jim

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Mop:[p]Regardless of cooker, think technique!

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Jim Minion,[p]That's quite the complement to everyone that makes up this Forum.[p]Puj
  • AZGator
    AZGator Posts: 24
    Options
    My contest experience involved getting pulled in to judge a Paul Kirk Pitmaster class. The best part was seeing 4 different versions of pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and chicken and being able to compare it to what I turn out on a regular basis. Afterwards I was able to talk to the different teams and learn different techniques to improve my Q. Getting to eat a bunch of great Q for free isn't a bad deal either. I also learned alot about competitions, presentation, and judging although I don't think I'm competition minded (except for the judging).[p]I'm looking forward to attending more competitions because there's a huge wealth of information to tap into all at one place (like the forum in person).[p]Paul
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Mop,[p]Perhaps you got my post confused with a different one. I didn't mention anything about cookers (cooks yes, but those are people, and certainly they need to be different ;-).[p]Anyway, I do agree that family and friends weigh heavily on my satisfaction index.[p]--sdb