Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

difference in quality from ....

Options
2»

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Taking Stogie's marinade recipe into consideration, how long would allow the butt to rest before cooking?
    WD

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    Yes, that was the reason for me to do the quick turnover between injecting and cooker; no sense letting it sit overnight when I won't have that luxury come competition season. I had heard mention of some teams doing mentoring on the competition trail; I think it's an awesome thing for your team and others to do! We are somewhat fortunate in our position as Canadians coming down to KCBS events; folks know we only do 1 or 2 events a year and seem to be more receptive to giving us hints and tips than others they may be competing against the next weekend in another town.
    Qfan

• WooDoggies,
    We used Stogie's recipe with some modifications and did a couple of hours before they went on, it was on a case of butts and a whole hog. It turned very well and will continue to play with the recipe to our liking.
    If I had the time (16 to 24 hours)I would use it.
    One thing to keep in mind if I add fruit juice or a lot of vinegar, I would not inject a day inadvance, I would cut it down to a couple of hours.
    jim

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    This particular marinade has 4 cups apple juice/cider and 1 cup cider vinegar in the mixture. Looks like you would recommend just a couple hour rest after injecting... which does make sense. Appreciate all your help and I will post my results.
    WD

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    reg,
    I like your style.
    1) I have no clue exactly where colligen (spelling) starts to break down. Even if I said or implied as much in my response. However I have noticed that my butt's seem to be at their best and shred best at 200 degrees and above.[p]2) You maybe right about competitors as I have never been to one event. But it seems to me that no one has the lock on cooking anything. The best coconut creme pie I ever had was at a roadside diner in Sylva N.C. I have tried it everwhere I have been that served it and have never found its equal. That encludes all the present day Pie Stores in California that claim to be so red hot. They had a local cook and I am sure it was her personal recipe and not for sell at any price even to the owners.[p]Your insights are informative. [p]Elder Ward

• Elder Ward, thanks for your response . i for one really like the comp thing , it gets real tense around turn in time because your trying your hardest to turn in the best product you possibly can . it's a rush for me . the other thing is the people you meet , pretty good stuff . [p]i'm sure we all wish there was a magic number for butts or anything else for that matter . sure would make things easier . have a good one . reg