Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cold smokinf

Options
nodock
nodock Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been asked to do a demonstration on the egg...they also wanted a cold smoking demo...can the egg do cold smoking? If so, how? Thanks one and all,

Comments

• lowercasebill
    Options
    it can . do a search for smoked cheese and you will eventually find what you need. as i understand it... you put six lit briquettes in the bottom of the egg and put chips of smoke wood on top of them. use the plate setter legs up with a pan of ice sitting on the place setter. this keeps the temp low. pretty much depends on what you want to smoke. hopefully someone will jump in with a link to instructions with pics.. back to work.
    bill
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    It was someone else's idea but it worked. Indirect with drip pan full of ice.

I used regular lump but only lit a small amount of it. Let it burn a bit, then added some hickory over the hot lump. Kept the bottom vent closed. Brought the dome temp up to 115°. Smoked it for probably 30 - 45 minutes.

I had to replace ice but that only took a couple of seconds.

SmokingCheese1.jpg

SmokedCheese8-14-05.jpg

It was good. Could'a stayed in the smoke a bit longer but not much.

Try it with both white and yellow cheese. Someone said the white cheese is better to smoke.

Now you've got me want'n some cheese.

Spring "Smoke Flavored Cheese Cutter" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • nodock
    Options
    will this technique work with fish?????
  • nodock
    Options
    will this technique work with fish????thanks
  • The Naked Whiz has "Scotty's Inferno's" method which I tried yesterday with cheese and am working on a batch of jerky right now.I wanted to use my new BBQ Guru pit minder and this seemed to be a great experiment.I was able to keep the dome temp. at 120F for an hour with the cheese,right now it has been holding 150 F for 2 hours.So far so good.
    The hardest part of this method is finding a 2 lb. coffee can.You could probably do this without the Guru but it would require more attention.
    Jim
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it would like making lox but the fish should be brined or cured first. otherwise it should just be smoked at a low temp till done not cold smoked.
    someone posted about making lox [cold smoked salmon on the new forum in the last few weeks] i think i printed it or saved a link and will check for it tonight
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention this. I bought a gallon of really cheap cabernet wine that I wanted to try smoking with. I thought it might add a different flavor to some white cheese. I haven't figured out a way to make it smoke at such a low temperature though.

One thought was to set a pan of it directly on the hot lump and let it fill the Egg with wine steam.

Anybody with a better idea is encouraged to post it.

Spring "Cheap Wine Connaître" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    if your going to try cold smoking fish its a long cook, you will be adding ice all day and night. ive seen pics of a second chamber or second egg hooked together with a dryer vent that would work, the one that looked easier was a dryer vent hose coming off the dome of a large hooked into a plastic milk crate wrapped up tightly with foil. he said he could adjust the temp by stretching the tube or making it shorter. 24 hours doing this is a long time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Might. Don't know. You would probably need a much higher temperature and longer smoke time. I'm sure there are plenty of Eggheads who have smoking fish down pat. I'm certainly not one of them, although I have cooked some pretty good salmon that had a nice smoke flavor.

Spring "Smoking Is NOT Prohibited" Chicken
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Fish will take quite a bit longer than cheese. The easiest way to set up for a long cold smoke is to run a dryer vent hose from the top of the Egg into a cardboard box that you have fitted with a rack of some kind. One from a kitchen oven works well.
    Prep the lump bed in the Egg as you would for a long low-n-slow. Don't worry about the platesetter, cooking grid, etc. Keep the lower vent almost closed and a stable dome temp as low as you can easily maintain. The smoke will further cool in the dryer vent hose.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    For cheese,

It is pretty cold out here now so I put some HDTF on top of the used lump. Then placed 6 bricketts next to one another. I lit and got them burning with white ash. Placed flavor wood chips (apple or cherry) on the bricketts for an hour.

I didn't bother with ice and the dome didn't climb above 90°

Cheese came out real smokey, a bit too smokey on some flavors of cheese. I was told to put in a zip lock and wait a day or two, followed those instructions and the cheese tasted great.

I saw a post or reference to a site where the person used a 5# coffee can, loaded that with lump and lit the top. That small lump amount allowed the low temp for drying jerky.

I am going to pick up some 6" vent pipe, cut some air holes in the lower end of pipe and use that to generate a low temp cook. This should make a low temp smoke pretty easy. Hopefully I will be able to control the amount of heat by using the lower egg vent.

If that doesn't allow a controllable smoke, then I am going to pick up an electric heater plate and put on a sheet metal box with dryer vent tube into the lower vent of the egg. I will put a pie pan with flavor chips on the heater plate and the electric plate will allow me to control the amount of smoke geneerated. (this is a take off from one of Alton Brown's shows when he was curing bacon).
  • When I replied earlier I was 2 hrs. into some jerky using "Scotty's Inferno's" method on TNW's site. The 2 lb coffee can of used lump lasted 9 hrs.and the jerky was by far the best I have ever made.Using the Guru pit minder the grate temp. held at 150F the entire time,I feel sure I could have held the temp. lower if I had wanted. If this is what you have in mind as cold smoking then I would have to say definitly the BGE will cold smoke.
    Jim