Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked turkey-difficulty getting internal temp up

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a 16 pound turkey last night at 250 degrees for 6 1/2 hours and the internal tbreast temp was still only 150 degrees. I had to go to bed so I removed the bird and left it on the kitchen counter overnight. I'm concerned that it wasn't cooked enough. I was thinking about wrapping it w/ foil and sticking it in the oven until I got 165 degrees. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    That's alotta bird for 6 1/2 hrs. Chances are you were almost there. Dunno about now that it sat on the counter all night. I'm leary of taking meat off and putting it back on, hard to tell what it will do with the doneness and taste and not sure about how safe it would be, especially poultry. Next time you might just up the temp 25-30 degrees to get it to go ahead and peak out.
  • craig,
    if you left the turkey on the counter overnight in your heated house... i'd recommend pitching it unless the temp in your house is under 40 degrees.

• craig,[p]You probably could have eaten the turkey at 150° or you could of put it in the fridge then reheat/cook until 165°.[p]But leaving it out overnight at room temp, I would have to agree with Rick - toss it.[p]I am sure there are more answers over on the new board.[p]Sorry for your loss.[p]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    craig,[p]Cooking at 250* dome, that sounds about right for time and temp, maybe even a little fast.
    Poultry takes on smoke very easily, so you really don't need to cook it at BBQ temps. Next time try indirect at 325* dome.
    As for finishing the cook after the bird has been on the counter for several hours, .... bad idea.

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Not according to the USDA

All poultry should reach a minimum of 165 °F.

Partial Cooking: Never brown or partially cook turkey to refrigerate and finish cooking later. It is safe to partially cook or microwave turkey if it is immediately transferred to a hot grill to finish cooking.
  • Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Rick,[p]I have found that trying to smoke birds over about 12 lbs or so causes problems. I would recommend staying with a bird in this range

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options