Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

basic grilling for beef

James
James Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I do very well with smoking large meats on the egg. I am embarrassed to admit that I cannot grill a simple steak or hamburger. I struggle with proper temp settings, opening lid too often, handling meat too many times (flipping), meat under cook, too done, etc. I've tried many thermometers but they just (I think) add to my problems. What are the basics for hamburger & steaks: i.e. steak 3/4" thick, temp setting, how long before opening lid & flipping, knowing the timing difference for medium rare medium, etc. Is their a general rule for thickness of meat which changes the timing before turning meat the first time?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    you will get much better with steaks if you buy them 1.5 inches thick, 3/4 is too thin. you need a thermapen thermometer to really get instant results, they are expensive, but worth every penny. do a quick search for trex method, it makes great steaks, and forget about times, trust a thermapen. for hamburgers i do things differently, i watch for the juices to rise, flip, watch for the juices to rise again, i like those from med rare to medium max and i dont go by temps or times, its visual with burgers.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • When I'm doing steaks, my dome temp is usually 650+ degrees for the initial sear. Then I drop it to 400 or so for the roasting part. Like fishlessman said, get thicker steaks if you can and read up on the T-rex method. Obviously, some cuts like a flatiron are limited in thickness so the thermapen will be your buddy. You can call the company and buy a refurb for $49.

For burgers, I use a lower temp of around 425-450. Depending on the thickness of the burger, it might take somewhere from 5 to 8 minutes per side. Maybe more, maybe less. Yeah, that's a pretty wide range and not too helpful, huh? Again, a thermapen will get you where you need to be.

Wow, that's 2 pretty useless paragraphs.

Meat
  • I'll try to be a little more helpful than my last post, which was basically, "Go buy a thermapen."

Check out the Omaha Steaks website and look for their Cookbook in .pdf form. Near the back (end), it has a guide for cooking times of different thickness steaks. It's a good start. Don't buy the steaks, just use the chart. I think it leans a little toward the more done side than less done, but it is a start.

Also, let your steak set on the counter for 30 minutes or so (or more) before cooking so that it comes to room temp.
  • I can feel your pain. I'm not too good at getting steaks done correctly if I try to time them. I use a Thermapen and cook the steaks to a particular temperature. Thicker is better as has been mentioned. I have had good luck with searing the steak for about 90 seconds on each side (actually I would sear longer but the wife (yes, the wife who....) doesn't like them seared too much) and then I rest them for 20 minutes. Then I return them to a 400 degree grill for final roasting. Before I put them back on the grill for the roasting phase, I check their internal temp. Based on how close to 125 they are, I take an initial guess based on thickness as to how long to roast before I check the temps again. Here is a link to my webpage on Trex steaks:

Trex Steak Method
    The Naked Whiz
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    I have had very good luck using the “hot tub” method. I simply put the steak in a plastic bag, seal it and put in hot water for about a hr. I stabilize my egg at around 750. Sear the steaks for about 90 seconds per side, remove and rest for about 5 minutes and you will have a great medium rare steak. I normally use 1 ¾ to 2” cuts for this process. You do not get much smoke with this method; it allows the flavor of the meat to comes through. If someone wants their steak medium or well, I just flip them and sear for another 1 minute per side before resting. Good luck. Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    For years I have cooked my steaks, the common 3/4 inch thick vareity, on a Weber kettle at 350 for 7 minutes on one side and 5 on the other. I have done a couple on the egg the same way with equal or better results.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Hi james,[p]It is getting increasingly difficult to see anyone respond to posts on this site. Anything posted here also shows up on the new and temporary site, but responses there do not show up here.

[ul][li]You have several responses here.[/ul]
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    James,   I was hit and miss with steak too. For a while now, I've been doing the reverse sear. Get the meat up to 10 or 15 degrees below your desired temp, take them off and open the vents. When you bury the needle throw them back on for 90 seconds a side. The Egg heats faster than it coolsSteve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dover_Gal
    Dover_Gal Posts: 116
    Michael B,
    My grilling better half is off in Florida on vacation and he seems to heat up our small to 500 at least, pop on the grill and go from there. It's similar to the broiler in the kitchen; you can't grill until the heat can sear the outside of the meat. He flips the meat numerous times to keep from charring too much of the outside, and I don't use sugar in the rubs I use (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick usually) because it would scorch and carbonize. When the meat is stiffened but slightly soft in center,it is medium. Softer center like the ball of your thumb is rarer, stiffer like the muscle on your wrist is more done (comparing the firmness is one way to tell if meat is done.)[p] You can sear up to 700 and I suggest you Trex method of steak grilling which I found is very good.

[ul][li]trex strip steak[/ul]