Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking my first 'Spached' chicken and man...............

Options
Marv
Marv Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who ever came up with this cut on the chicken deserves a gold star. It is so easy to fix.[p] Just put it on and smelling sooo good already. Rubbed with Olive oil to keep the skin from getting too dry and rubbery then seasoned with some of Marv's own chicken rub.[p]Marv

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Marv , so here are my results: Cooked indirect with 3 fire bricks on their sides on top of first grate around the edge and a drip pan in the middle. Then another grate on top of that. Cooked with the top all the way open (as usual) and the bottom about 1/4 inch to keep the dome temp at 300-315. I figured this was giving me a grate temp. of approx. 250. Cooked for 2 hrs. with a Nu-temp inserted in breast set at 162.
    Alarm went off and pulled chicken but once I got it in the house, the inside of thighs were not done. So back on it went for another 30 mins.
    Oh yea, I used a chunk of Pecan for my 'flavor' wood

I like the slo-N-low method somewhat better than the higher temp and quicker time.
    My results were a somewhat crunchy skin and a very juicy meat. I cook the chicken skin side up and do not turn it over. This way, the fat under the skin melts and runs through the meat to help keep it moist and flavor it.[p] Anyway it was some very gooood eatin'[p]Marv