Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spring Assisted Band

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Big Green Egg Customers[p]It has been brought to our attention that some of our customers have been installing the Spring Assisted Band upside down. This is being done to prevent the hinge mechanism from contacting the table top.
The S.A.B. was engineered to use the weight of the grill lid to assist with its opening. By installing the S.A.B. upside down you counter that effect, and reduce the range of motion that the lid will hold itself open. We strongly recommend against installing the S.A.B. upside down as you are creating the possibility for the lid to close inadvertently and damage the grill unit or cause personal injury. The table top clearance problem can be solved by raising the shelf that supports the Egg, or by placing a suitable spacer between the shelf and the bottom of the Egg.

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    BGE,[p]Good to hear from you about this important clarification. Thanks for chiming in![p]Cornfed
  • BGE, while you're still looking at the board how about updating the "what's new" part? If it wasn't for word of mouth no one would know you now have a new thermometer available, nor a plate sitter for a medium BGE. Of course in my neck of the woods my dealer was clueless on both matters. Of course what could you expect from a dealer who was out of lump for 4 months...bet he sold a lot of BGEs then, huh?

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    BGE,
    Thanks..I would hate to see someone get hurt or break their Egg.
    Larry

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    BGE,
    Thanks for the official notification...will probably save someone some headaches..[p]Wess

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    BGE,[p]Thanks for the heads up. I installed mine the past weekend and love it. The range of motion and ease of use is fantastic.[p]When are you coming out with S.A. bands for the smaller Eggs?[p]Thanks again,
    Spin

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    BGE,[p]Looks like this is directed at me...it'll be good to flip the band and see if I can notice a difference, which presumably I will. Also good to get a clarification, as I was under the impression this band flip was "endorsed" by BGE.[p]--sdb
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    sdbelt,
    If you flip it right side up please let us know if you feel a difference.
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• WessB,this is the first post i have seen from BGE i really think it should be a daily thing with them and hope that someday it will be

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    vegas slim, Guess they don't have the time on their hands like some of the rest of us do.
    Maybe they should hire someone just to answer and/or comment on all the posts???[p]Marv[p]Preferably some one with experience using the BGE

• Marv
    kat, My dealer is a fireplace store and only carries 2 lb bags of chips. for the egg. But hey my local hardware (locally owned) can order it for me in the 20 lb size one at a time. Royal Oak for $9.99 each and he dosen't carry a grill/BBQ of any kind.[p]Marv

• WessB
    vegas slim,
    I honestly believe that they are way to busy for that...and who would want to be on the recieving end of the BS thats been flyin lately..certainly not me..but I as well as others have stated..they do read the board and are in no way ignorant to our post/requests...theres only so many people to do so many things...if they had a rep here it would be constant exchanges of posts and most likely not very productive...just my $.02[p]Wess

• WessB
    Marv ,
    $9.99 for a 20# bag of royal oak is a damn good deal in my area..I would jump all over that...we pay $15.99 for BGE lump..which has "consistently" been the best I have bought...have tried several others and BGE is the most often the best quality...but reality is it comes from royal oak...may be the cream of the crop, but I cant say either way...I will continue to pay for the BGE lump until I find a consistently better brand.[p]Wess

• Marv
    WessB, Just check with any and all placees you think would/should carry the lump and ask them if they can order it.
    I was very pleased with the time and effort the salesman spent with me on this matter. I agree, the price is great as another fireplace store in town that carries bbq supplies is asking $20.00 for the same size........wonder why his bag has dust all over it??[p]Marv

• WessB, maybe they should have a moderator here in charge of the boards i think that would be a good idea and usefull to delete those posts that start the battle of words the 1 thing i do want them to know is this forum and the fantastic people on it led me to buying the egg last spring
  • anyone know where I could find a SAB for a medium egg for a reasonable price? I bought a first gen egg without one.  thanks!