Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken disaster

Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seasoned and preped the chicken normal way; put the chicken in at 350...only thing, the wife wanted it in the oven, not the egg. That was the driest chicken I've had in a year, which is how long I've had the egg. Last time that happens.
Will redeem my tastebuds tonight...pizza...where it should be...on the egg!

Comments

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Shelby,[p]...what's an oven...?

• davidm,
    it's the place where you normally store pots... seems his wife tries to cook there...
    Puppy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Shelby,[p]My wife often uses the kitchen appliance known as the stove (or oven). She has been known to use a large cooking bag when doing chicken or turkey breasts (all we normally do) and they come out very nice - no smoke ofcourse. Maybe a splash of Liquid Smoke next time - hehe.[p]Tim
  • PuppyBreath, a oven is las vegas in mid august!

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Shelby,[p]Been there, done that......dry as a popcorn fart.....the only good that comes from cooking it that way is if it's a crappy day out, the smell of the chicken cooking inside is nice.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    vegas slim,
    Or phoenix in July. Ü
    New Bob

• Tim M,
    We purchased one of those rotisserie ovens off the TV a few years back and the very first thing we cooked on it was a chicken. It turned out great. The only thing is the cleanup - what a mess... The Egg is just as good if not better, and much easier to clean up afterward. Now that we have the Egg down pat, the rotisserie just collects dust. I suppose even the stove will eventually become less and less important as I master the Egg.

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Shelby,
    Last week, while waiting for my firebox replacement, I decided to toss the chicken in the oven (bagless). Texture and taste similar to cardboard. This is something I should probably do once a year just to remind me how much I like my egg. [p]

• Shelby,
    We've got a double wall oven over here, one is for preheating the pizza stone while I'm firing up the Egg and the other is a breadbox. We used it alot more to make toast when the pop up toaster crapped out on us. We did use the stove last week to heat up a can of tomato soup though.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Citizen Q,[p]Can you clue us in on your recipe/technique for stovetop tomato soup? Did you open the can with a regular can opener, or did you use one of those nifty electric ones? Or was it a flip top can ala Campbell's Chunky soup? Also, did you blast away with a high stove setting for 2 minutes, or did you go low on slow with a medium to low setting for 5 minutes?[p]Sorry,
    Cornfed

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Cornfed,
    I wonder if they used a can of water or milk to mix in with it?????????????
    New Bob Ü

• Cornfed,[p]Dont mean to barge in here.... but I nuke my tomato soup.
    I just hit the button that says "SOUP". :)[p]You know... that brings to mind a thought though & I have never seen this discussed. [p]People use soup, tomato, mushroom, clam, etc. to marinate their meat sometimes... I wonder if the soup was smoked "first" and then used as a marinade if this would be a good thing... sort of a jump start on the smoke flavor..or the only smoke flavor if used for a dish in the standard oven or sandwhiches etc. [p]Just an idea :)[p]Happy Egging.. BB[p]

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    BB, I don't know about smoking it in the egg, but you might try adding some liquid smoke to the soup and then using it as a marinade...Like someone else posted, another excuse to cook on the egg.[p]Marv

• Citizen Q,[p]So you're saying that sometimes you cook food indoors that you actually eat? Interesting :-)[p]
    CB

• Cornfed,
    Actually, I used my new Zyliss hand crank can opener, a real beauty that my wife gave me for Valentines Day! I gently poured the soup into my 7 layer stainless steel-titanium-silver alloy-copper 1 qt stockpot (yeah, the guy saw me coming from a mile away at the Home Show), seasoned lightly with black pepper and someone's questionably named rub, and mixed slowly over low heat with heavy cream.[p] After 10 minutes, I increased the heat because these goddamned 7 layers take forever to heat up. After 5 minutes I had to yank the pot off the rangetop because once all 7 layers heat through, the soup starts to burn. Saved it in the nick of time, and ready for dipping the corner of a lovely grilled cheese sammich into!

• BB,[p]I've tried using drippings both for a gravy/sauce, and also as a soup base. Each time I found the drippings to be too smokey. I like the smoke flavor but in the drippings is was overwhelming.

• Shelby
    New Bob,
    Or...New Orleans from May to September...

• elFloyd,[p]Yes... same feeling here with the dripings being too strong sometimes.[p]Alas... you could smoke a bowl of soup for only a few minutes .. or to taste...and then pull it and freeze it for use anytime and in so many different ways... as a marinade, sauce, or heck... just as soup :)[p]Happy Egging. BB

• Shelby
    Well, I'm glad I was able to give most everyone a good laugh today. Yes, good to use the oven for something besides storage space once in a while to remind us how good food cooked in the egg can be.
    Will report back on the much anticipated success of the pizza.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Spring Chicken,[p]I can imagine what a couple racks of those yummy - bloiled first - racks of ribs are like on that gizmo. Maybe a splash of liquid smoke will fix'em up. You're right, the Egg is easier to clean up after -->> "just close it and FORGET IT!"[p]I assume it does do some nice things?? [p]Tim