Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some primitive "custom-made" BGE tools

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For whatever it's worth, I've developed three custom-made BGE tools; maybe these ideas might be useful. First, I made an "ash-hook" out of a piece of aluminum. It's about two feet long and about an inch and a half wide, with a two-inch right angle projection on the end. It does a good job of scraping out the ash from under the firebox.[p] Second, I made a "grate-lifter" out of a strong piece of steel strap. It's about a foot long and about two inches wide. It's shaped something like a very wide letter "M" and it fits into the center portion of the grate that came with the BGE. As you lift the grate, the grate rests on the lifter, and it's very easy to move the grill, even when it's hot, to add wood chips to the fire.[p] Third, I took an ordinary long-handled brass barbecue brush and cut the handle close to the head. I then re-joined the handle and the head with an angle brace, so that the brush resembles a hockey stick. That way, I can easily clean the grate, despite the high walls of the BGE surrounding the grate.[p] My next project, I think, is going to be a contoured ash bucket, which will fit right under the lower vent. That way, when I pull ash out of the door, none of it will fall onto the ground.[p] [My wife thinks I have too much time on my hands, but some people are just incorrigible tinkerers.]

Comments