Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison ham roast help

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a deer, and brought home about a 13 pound leg. I love my egg, but have not cooked venison on it before. I do brisket and Boston butt roast, North Carolina style, but have not tried venison. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 9
    Options
    When I cook venison the meat must be fat free, No hair and all meat membranes removed. If the meat has bone in it,remove bone.Usally the hind quarter will look like a large hunk of butterflied sirloin roast. Next take sliced garlic ,fresh rosemary cracked pepper kosher salt and good olive, put on the inside and roll meat. Put bacon on outside and tie with butcher string. Roast with a temp of 300 degrees above meat(not dome temp). The inside temp is up to the individual person.I use very few wood chips.

ENJOY
    Howard in Bartow
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    I would first bone it and separate the muscle groups. There is a top round a bottom round, a rump, eye of round and a sirloin tip all on that leg. They all make wonderful roasts. Below the joint is the shank. I would grind that or use it for stew meat. You can take them all apart by muscle groups. Grid rid of any fat and silver skin. The silver skin comes off with a filet knife much like skinning a fish. This is prime meat. Do not over cook it. Keep it moist with bacon. You might want to cook it indirect over a pan like a turkey. Good luck.
  • Bigger
    Bigger Posts: 15
    Options
    Bob ,
    I just did the same thing. I have now cooked parts of my ham 3 ways. Either way - the trick is not drying it out, as venison has little to no fat.[p]1.) Pan seared, med. rare, salt and pepper. Result - tasty but a little dry[p]
    2.) Wins the award, did this with a fellow egger...[p]4lb of the venison - select pieces that are on the large side and can tie together nicely.[p]Stud with finger-nail sized pieces of beef suet from your local grocery store. We probably used 15- 20 studs all together[p]rub down with fresh parsely, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Then combine and grind 3 tsp. black pepper, 5-6 juniper berries and sea salt. Sprinkle over meat.[p]Tie up into a roast with as few pieces of twine as possible (we used three - it makes carving the roast easier later), then wrap with bacon and secure with additional twine as needed.[p]We then cooked in a v-rack, at about 400 to a 175 internal temp. Tent for 10 mins and eat.[p]turned out great, suet and bacon made sure it wasn't dry and juniper is just plain tasty on game.[p]hope it helps...[p]3.) Also made a venison bbq in the crock pot which turned out great[p]4.) roasted the bones at 375 for 50 mins, made some killer stock that is waiting to go with the remaining venison for a pot o' chile. [p]
    Hope this helps