Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Response to Citizen-Q

Good Eats
Good Eats Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not one to normally try and start a war on here and certainly hope that this post doesn't do that but after reading your post this morning I felt I had to post. I regards to the new forum and people not reading all of the PING - WMK posts regarding their problems I would like to explain my delimma before you become more irate. I have been having problems on the new forum for about a week now, at first I resisted going over there because I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of logging in but I finally accepted that that was the way it was going to have to be. I consider myself computer savy and to this date I can't log on, regardless of what I try. I have contacted WMK off the forum, I have tried my username and password in so many different configurations you would need quantum physics to calculate the total, I have read EVERY post regarding the new forum from EVERY member that has posted anything even remotely resembling a problem, question or anything about the new forum... I am extremly frustrated that I can not log on... and yes after trying everything I can think of for a week I have started posting PING messeges and I HATE it... I hate it because everytime I do I think of Wess sitting behind his computer cringing... I hate it because it doesn't add anything productive to the forum and I hate it because yes it probably really pi&&es off some of the other memebers... Now there is nothing I can do about the other problems you addressed regarding the layout of the new forum, but I feel like part of your message was directed at me in part because I am one of the ones having such great difficulty getting on the new forum... so I would like to ask you what would you have me do? I know you are one of the " old timers " and while I have been around for 4 years I mainly lurk so I look to you for guidence... what is the soulution? I have tried everything short of calling WMK and that is only because he hasn't posted his phone number. I certainly hope this doesn't cause a war on here because I am not interested in doing that but your post really struck a nerve with me knowing what I have been through... and by the way I STILL CAN'T LOG ON... even after WMK reset my login and gave me very specific instructions that I have followed to a T.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It all is very frustrating when you are on the other side of the login. I did everything and even registered with a new user name and had to use hubbys email to get it. My solution was to use firefox to log in. I am mostly AOL based (hate it but, business email of a long time is that and hate to change now) But by using firefox as my browser i was in. I was shocked but shouldn't have been, I can not work on my website in AOL, I have to use firefox for that to. Things are starting to smooth out and eventually all will be fine and everyone will be on I'm sure. It is nice to see more cooking posts :)
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Were you ever able to receive the activation email. If you did and the link didn't work (it didn't work for me when I clicked on it) try to copy and paste it to the address line. That's what worked for me in the end.
    Ed
  • Good Eats,[p]Clearly you are not starting a "flame-war". The problem is the "New Forum" was released before its time.[p]I've been using the new forum and am going blind due to the small font sizes. When I get the small fonts up to something I can read the other font is HUGE and let's not even get into Citizen-Q's comment about the clutter with which I am in total agreement.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]The .net site is still in a beta testing phase - they are asking us to use it in order to fish out any unidentified bugs or problems, and to build a wish list of fixes, changes, etc.[p]If you set the board to classic view, then hit the wide view option the board looks, feels, and operates very similar to the .com site. I have the text set to 160% and there are only a few visible differences between the two.[p]I understand that some people are having login issues and other individual specific problems, but that is expected and the very reason for doing a beta test. Once the errors and issues are mostly rectified it will become the only forum. [p]I feel for those of you having issues, but if you stick with it a few days you will realize that the .net board is really not any more difficult to navigate and use - and it adds some much needed security to our message board.
  • I'm not sure how many people realize how long and late you worked last night trying to help those who had problems. Thanks for all your experimentation and discovery, especially about how to post pix in here.

As for WMK, 12:30 am came and went while he was still at it, responding to each and everyone who was having problems. He didn't miss anyone that was using the forum. If we think we're frustrated, imagine how he feels.

Now, whoever took my karma, give it back! :woohoo:
  • FYI: AOL will let you keep your email address even without an account. if you can actually manage to let them let you quit AOL, they will still keep your email account active.

haven't had AOL for years, and still get email to that address.

you can even log on to AOL through their homepage and check your email, all without an account. i believe they even offer NEW free email. they are trying desperately to hold on to customers, and free email is one thing they offer.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Good Eats,[p]For reference, this is my response: growl.[p]WMK
  • Would that be a "cross" reference?
  • Bless you as that was my problem and your solution worked!
  • Edemitch
    Edemitch Posts: 196
    Glad I could help
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Good Eats,
    Wow, spent much of the day on the .net side without even seeing this thread. I was just trying to make a few points and vent some frustration in a somewhat humorous way while trying to NOT intentionally point any fingers at ANYBODY. All of my issues and everybody else's login problems would be cured if we all just migrated back over here to the old forum until the .net side is actually ready for implemetation.
    Trouble is that better than 90% of all posts are on the new forum and this .com side is essentially dead in the water. It will all sort out sooner or later, but apparently if we only confer kind words and warm thoughts to the effort.

• WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Citizen Q,[p]The new site will never be ready if nobody uses it. And if only a few patient folks volunteer to test it, how will we find issues that are specific to others?[p]And, yes, absolutely, kind words and warm thoughts are always the best way for one to contribute positively to almost any effort -- most especially efforts that one doesn't support in any other tangible way. I guess you do get it:-).[p]Thanks for your support,
    WMK