Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange server problems

Options
WMK
WMK Posts: 1,747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't know why yet, and it's too late for me to figure it out tonight, but we are seeing some strange behavior on the server all of a sudden.

I cannot view the three posts at the top of the new forum posted by ViennaJack. When I click on them, nothing comes back at all. I don't see anything wrong with the messages in the database, but nonetheless, I cannot view them.

NOTE: I've marked the these three posts as on "hold" until I can determine what the problem is with viewing them -- not tonight -- ugh.

WMK

Comments

• Mike-RR
    Mike-RR Posts: 181
    Options
    Same here...and I saw the "server offline" page for a bit there. Have a great evening, and a big Thanks! for all the work you've done on the forum.
  • WMK
    Options
    Yes, I rebooted the server earlier hoping the problem would go away.

I guess it was too good to be true that we wouldn't have any strange problems like this on the new server.

I've put the three posts on "hold" until I can figure out what the heck is the matter with them that prevents them from being viewed -- very strange indeed.

Hopefully, they are what caused the forum to slow down so things will continue to run smoothly now.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Me too - this is the message that I get when trying to open his post:

An invalid post id was requested.#386855

Thanks again for all the hard work!!! This new forum is great!

TRex
  • citychicken
    Options
    if you are refering to the "meats in nova" post, i am able to read it. just to let you know. don't think i am doing anything special though.
  • JudyFoodie
    Options
    When you put those posts on hold, do they disappear from our view altogether because that has happended on my screen?
  • WMK
    Options
    No, I'm referring to three posts by "ViennaJack" that no longer appear because, for some reason, they cannot be viewed. And attempting to do so consumes massive amounts of server resources.

There did not appear to be anything wrong with them; so, I put them on "hold" until I could determine what the problem is. Until I do, it may pop up again at any time.

WMK
  • WMK
    Options
    Yes, they disappear so nobody can attempt to view them because they are causing a problem.

There is nothing obviously "wrong" with them; so, I'll try to determine what the issue is, fix it, and then restore them to normal.
  • ViennaJack
    Options
    Sorry about the hassle. I had a lot of problems making the posts (hence the dupes). Each time the connection timed out, and I had no idea that they actually posted until afterwards. I could not pull them up either.

The only thing remotely different about the post(s) was that one of the four images was a PNG file. The other three were JPG. All showed up fine in the post preview. All were resized to 640x480 before I uploaded them to my site for linking.
  • WMK
    Options
    ViennaJack,

Yes, something about the images are causing a problem, but I'm not yet sure what. I restored one of the three posts and replaced the four images with one that works albeit not very appetizing :) .
  • citychicken
    Options
    one thing that i noticed is that after creating a post and submitting it, if the "go back" button in firefox is used to navigate back to the main forum page then multiple identical posts are created.

not sure why it happens of even if this will help you at all.
  • citychicken
    Options
    one thing that i noticed is that after creating a post and submitting it, if the "go back" button in firefox is used to navigate back to the main forum page then multiple identical posts are created.

• citychicken
    Options

• ViennaJack
    Options
    WMK wrote:
    ViennaJack,

Yes, something about the images are causing a problem, but I'm not yet sure what. I restored one of the three posts and replaced the four images with one that works albeit not very appetizing :) .

With your permission I can re-post with all JPG and see if the PNG was the one that was messing us up - but I want to coordinate this with you if I do it so you can get the forum back up if it crashes again!