Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt Gasket

Options
Longhorn
Longhorn Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any helpful hints for changing the felt gasket (i.e. the best way to get the old one off?).
I was going to change it today, but decided to get some advice from the forum before I attempt it - Besides, I've got steaks to cook and I would not want to hold that up![p]Thanks in advance for the advice,[p]Longhorn

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Longhorn,
    I just replaced my gasket a week ago (it got fried by one of those high temp cooks). I used a rubber mallet and a wood chisel to get the stubborn parts off. Some of the bottom just pulled off. To put the new one on, just start at the back of the Egg and peel the paper off as you feed it onto the Egg rim. The gasket will easily handle the curve. All told, it took no more than 30 minutes. A piece of cake even for a mechanical zero like me.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Longhorn,
    Only because I remember other posts - use a putty knife and no solvents of any kind.
    [p]Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Longhorn, I replaced tops and bottoms on both the large and my small BGE late last fall to get ready for winter. They needed it.
    Here is where I would like to see someone do a bit of experimenting..If you would..E.mail me if your work isn't in progress yet. You might find this interesting...
    Thanks..
    Char-Woody, the "Tinker Tank Man"

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Who was it that just replaced one side of the gasket? I thought it was you. Someone replaced just one side - not sure if it was the top or bottom but I would be interested in the outcome and if it held up to expectations. I personally like a little extra felt so the Polder cable won't be pinched or crushed.[p]Tim
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Tim M, If one side is in good condition I don't suppose you would need to replace with new felt. I am soon going to do some experimenting with the high temperature graphite flat rope material available from Rutland Products. It comes with a high temperature (2000F) silicon cement. You can also get it with a self adhesive backing from Rutland. The store variety has the separate adhesive in a tube. (both packaged together but separate)[p]My thinking is, with the extra 3/8" thickness of the graphite, there would be no need for a seal on the upper dome. This is thick enough to seal and still give protection to any Polder cables thru the partition.[p]Cheers..C~W[p]BTW..my Prodigy Internet was down most of the morning![p]
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    New grates; new gaskets. BEg should make you the first BGE test pilot. Yea thats it, the Chuck Yeager of Eggdom. Good job, keep up the good work and thanks for the help.[p]MAC

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MAC, Undeserved at best..:-) The gasket material is available from Rutland Products..check the website below.
    Its great stuff, and look at all the varieties as well as firebrick mortars etc..Lots of ideas in that website.

[ul][li]Rutland Products[/ul]