Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help with Turkey Temperature

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This past weekend I cooked a 12 lb turkey, which turned out really good, but there were parts of the bird that didn't seem to cook through. I'm cooking on a large egg with a V-rack placed in a drip pan that was set directly on the grill. No water or anything in the drip pan, and no plate setter. Dome temp was 325, the bird was brined for 24 hours, stuffed, and then cooked breast up. The dome thermometer is calibrated.[p]The problem is that while I saw thigh temps of about 200 with my Thermopen, and breast temps of over 180, the stuffing was only 145, and the meat on the back of the bird (which was on the bottom while cooking) was also about 145 and still had pink juices flowing. I ended up cooking it a good deal longer until the back temp was over 160, but the stuffing never got above 150. The directions that came with the bird said the stuffing needed to be at least 165. [p]We ate it anyhow, and it tasted great, but I was wondering if it is better to cook it without a drip pan and place the bird right on the grill, or if I should use a plate setter with a drip pan below the grill so that I would get more hot air flowing near the bottom of the bird. Any suggestions?[p]Carl P[p]

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Carl P,[p]Many people do not put stuffing in the bird due to not getting cooked and the infused smoke taste.[p]We are dealing with three temps. Brest, thigh/leg and possibly the stuffing.[p]Mad Max suggests putting an ice bag on the trukey brest for 20 minutes before cooking. This is to equalize the cook time with the breat and legs.[p]I would think the majority of people only use loosley stated vegies inside the bird.[p]I follow Mad Max's icing but I do put stuffing in the bird. I also make stuffing outside of the bird for thise who do not like the stuffing having a smoke flavor.[p]I have never temp probed my stuffing, and have no idea how hot it got before eating. [p]Stuffing has a lot of loose parts and I wonder how accurate a reading would be.[p]Ours turned out great tasting and no ill effects (so far).[p]Good eatin, Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04155a.jpg
    <p />Carl P,[p]You are not alone. Overcooked parts, undercooked parts and cooking stuffing to the correct safe temperatures are common problems with turkeys, and to chickens to some degree. You should get some sound tips here because a bunch of turkeys, of all sizes, were cooked over Thanksgiving.[p]Me, I guess I'm too picky....I have all but given up on whole birds. I can't get the doneness perfect for all the pieces, unless they are separate. I've never had luck with stuffing either, unless it's just aromatics, so I make dressing.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub,[p]I have never checked the stuffing temperature before either, but just on a hunch stuck a Thermopen in it. I think the reading was accurate. No ill effects, and the stuffing didn't have a much of a smoke flavor either. Just no piece of mind that it was truly safe.[p]thanks,[p]Carl P
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    carl P,[p]My inbird stuffing will have a smoke flavor about 1 to 2 inches in and the rest is just good.[p]I followed Mad Max's method for the most part. I made the turkey stock the day before the cook then reheated. Use the stock for stuffing, basting and later gravey.[p]I also injected the Turkey with the trukey stock about 30 minutes before completion.[p]The best turkey ever.