Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to purchase first egg ..couple questions.

Options
ILL--EGGER
ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always been a lover of BBQ as much as the next guy but never made the plunge to buy an egg until a friend got one last summer and turned me onto this forum. I'm fully committed to buying a large egg tomorrow but have a couple questions regarding prices.
I was quoted by my local dealer prices as follows:
Large Egg....................$669.95
Compact Table without wheels.$261.95
Platesetter...................$39.95
I was also told they will deliver and set-up for free if you are patient and wait for a day they make other deliveries to your town (which they said was quit often) or you pay $50 and get the day of your choosing. I think the only "must have" to get going is good Lump that I haven't listed, but wanted opinions, comments or suggestions from all you folks.
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,[p]I think you are pretty set with the egg and plate setter. You might want a grid extender too - they come in real handy. You egg should come with an accessory package that includes the DFMT, an ash tool, and a grid lifter. A lot of dealers will also offer a free bag of BGE lump with the purchse. With all the accessories you are purchasing, you would think he could toss in a bag. Building a relationship with you will be in his best interest, because you will go buy more toys - and if he takes care of you with a bag of lump wouldn't you be more likely to go back and see him?[p]As for the table - I have no idea on the price, but I can say if you have the room it might be worth it to spring for the extra table space and get the larger table. Or, if you are handy, you can build one as big as you want for under $150.[p]I am always wishing I had more counter space between my eggs.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    those prices sound atypical for here in IL. BTW I'm here in Dunlap, just North of Peoria. Where are you? The only other eggcessory you might want to consider at this time is a BGE pizza stone. It's made of the same ceramic material. Other brands are known to break on a BGE. Otherwise glad to hear of another IL egger in our midst.
    GO ILLINI !!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    I would build my own table and save difference for small egg, which you will want. Table big enough for both

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    I'll second wishing I had gone with the bigger table. I have been using my Weber Performa's table top for extra space and now I think the Weber is history.

• Georgie
    Georgie Posts: 51
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    Welcome! Actually, you've been on this forum longer than me, so I guess I shouldn't be the one to welcome you. Congrats on your purchase though. I would also ask the dealer to throw in an extra set of BGE feet (the little green things the egg rests on). That way you can use one set as intended and the other set is really helpful to use as a spacer when doing a turkey or a pizza or anything you want to get good air flow underneath when using the plate setter. My dealer's price list showed the feet at $8, so I asked to buy some about a month after I got my egg and they just handed me a set. Didn't cost them much, but definitely made me more likely to go back for future purchases.

• ILL--EGGER
    Options
    RRP,
    Greetings from right here in central Illinois also...Washington. Darn near neighbors =) I thank everyone for there comments and can't wait to buy the egg.
    RRP, can I ask where you purchased yours from? I'm going to Harth and Patio on north University in Peoria. I assume you may of bought there also considering where you live and did they include the ash tool and such or bag of lump as described by other forum members here?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    Yes - all 4 of my eggs came from Hearth & Patio or their predecessor. Not sure who you are dealing with there, but probably Gerry, Tracy, Eric or Tiffany. Anyway, all know me as I also taught three BGE cooking classes there for them last year. Tell them Hi for me! As for throwing in eggcessories I don't know what their practice is today and sure can't speak for them, though they are real nice people to deal with however.[p]I know three eggers by name in Washington of John Clark, Teri Flemming and a newbie himself, realtor/builder Marc Wells.[p]Be sure to hold the first Saturday in June for the 6th annual Peoria Eggfest at Hearth & Patio. It's a fun time to meet other local eggers.[p]Click on my profile to send me an email if you want to ask other questions off the board.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ILL--EGGER, another must-have is a good meat thermometer, like a Thermapen, and also a set or two of tongs. But you don't need to get these from an Egg dealer.

• slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    A definite must have is a good friendly butcher! Get to know one very well.
    Don't forget a grill light.

• Conundrum
    Options
    ILL--EGGER,
    +1 for the good instant read thermometer. As was said make sure you get the DFMT, also known as the cast iron daisy wheel thingy that goes on top. Some dealers include it, some don't.[p]Enjoy.

• Conundrum
    Options
    Conundrum,
    DFMT = Dual Function Metal Top.[p]

• ILL--EGGER,[p]Price sounds good to me, but I haven't been pricing lately. The free set-up sounds OK, too.[p]You can save some money re: starting, if you use some paper towel blotted with olive oil. Works like a charm. I detest lighter cubes -- they DO leave a stink-taste in the food, unless you wait a VERY long time before putting the food on the grill.[p]I have a cheap electric starter... but use OO often. When the elect burns out [been going all summer and fall], I'll get a MAPP.[p]I built a deck last year, and with scraps, I built a 13" high stand for my two eggs. They stand next to a built-in table -- but the eggs aren't "inside" a table -- and I have no need to roll them around. Saved lots of money -- enough to buy my small.[p]Keep posting -- and be sure to keep RRP in line![p]:)[p]~ B[p]

• ArvadaMan
    ArvadaMan Posts: 260
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]I second the Thermapen recommendation.