Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey help

Options
Doctor Evil
Doctor Evil Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm grilling a 17.5 pound turkey, following the Naked Whiz' formula. I am now 3 hours into the cook and the white meat internal temp measures 180 degrees. This is supposed to take 6 hours or so. I have been running a solid 325 degrees dome temp. Can this be right?

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    doctorevil,
    It's possible that you are hitting a bone when taking your temp. That seems awfully early to reach that temp on that large of a bird. I'd check my thermometer in boiling water and ensure when I reinserted the therm, that I didn't hit any bones. [p]It you brined your bird it could be that temp because bring will cut down on cooking time. I would still check the other things I mentioned to be sure.HTH.

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    doctorevil, Something doesn't sound right. Has your thermometer been calibrated (should read 100C or 212F @ sea level in boiling wate)? Do you have a spare? Breast meat is done @ 165F. What's the dark meat (thick part of the thigh) reading? Should be about 185F when properly cooked.[p]Rascal

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    doctorevil,[p]You mey be cooking at a higher temperature than you think. Make sure your pit thermometer is 1) calibrated and 2) not touching (or very close to) the bird, giving you a false reading.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery