Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for getting temperature to 350 degrees in cold weather

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to smoke chicken on a large green egg. I live in Cinncinnati, OH and the temperature outside is about 30 degrees. I am having trouble getting the temperature on the green egg higher than 175 degrees and I need to get it about 350 degrees for chicken. I am looking for advice. Thanks Bryan

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Bryan Nelson,
    When was the last time you calibrated your thermometer? I'm only asking because I calibrated mine three weeks ago. This morning I uncovered the egg and noticed thermometer read way below ambient. I stuck it in boiling water and thermo showed 175 deg. I have never had water boil at 175 in my house so I recalibrated. If yours' is accurate then I would suggest getting a coat hanger and after straightening it out bend a 2" ell on one end and stick it in through lower vent. Try and feel the holes in the firegrate and wiggle the coat hanger up in to the lump. if you have a reduction in air flow this will open it up a little. Do not walk away from egg once you do this as temps will skyrocket in no time. [p]I should have asked first if you had enough lump in the egg and was it damp perhaps? [p]Happy New Year[p]Mike

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Bryan Nelson,
    You should have no trouble at all getting even 700 degrees when it is 30 outside. Do you have enough charcoal in the cooker? Is the charcoal full of small chips and pieces that would block airflow? If the lump had been used before, did you give it a stir before you lit it to knock off ash and settle the lump? Is the bottom vent lined up with the hole in the side of the firebox? Are the holes in the grate and firebox blocked with ash and/or chips? [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • woolyegg
    Options
    Bryan Nelson, Hi we did Prime Rib here in Maine last night for dinner. We have had our egg for a year and no trouble with getting the temps up till last night. I had cleaned out the ash from the base and filled the lump but it would only get to 250. I needed 500 for the first few minutes to drop to 350. after an hour of getting a little up set I took a coat hanger and wriggled it up from the ash door into the holes on my ash pan. in 5 minutes I was nuclear :) So maybe try that? it worked great for me. good luck. We have not had any issues with the cold effecting smoking, grilling or pizzas. I love my Egg. I am careful to make sure I have the plate setter on early in the lighting so it warms with the egg, I do worry about putting and 10 degree stone on a 500 degree egg :) Julie in Maine waiting for the 10-16 that is due tonight :(

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Bryan Nelson,
    The outdoor temp should not affect the egg at all. It is most likely an airflow problem. Use a wiggle stick from below as some have stated here. Watch closely after doing that;once the airflow issue is resolved, the temps will soar rather quickly. HTH.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Bryan Nelson,[p]This is the first winter I have had the egg. Hopefully we will be above 17° today.[p]It seems to me there are different charastics when building a fire in the winter. With that said the lump I am useing now has very few large pieces. Mostly close to the size and smaller than bricketts.[p]Either from the colder temp or smaller lump I find I am having to jiggle stick when building the fire almost every time I light up.[p]As stated below, don't leave the egg once you jiggle stick. I hit 700° while getting the medium started with MAPP. So that was 2 to 5 minutes it took the large to go from just under 300° to 700°.[p]Once going my vent settings were a little different than from the summer months.[p]I am thinking the difference for me is the lump size I am using.[p]Winter cooking is different. Heatin & freezing butts at the same time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    i'd say it's the lump. i'd bet dollars to donuts the vast majority of "old timers" around here would say they never experience any major difference in temps due to cold.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    stike,[p]This cold temp thing is a bit odd to me. I tend to agree though. I am always able to coorect with a jiggle stick.[p]Since I got my egg, late summer, I have used about 150# to 200# of lump. For the most part all the lump came off of the same pallets.[p]I am lighting both the large and med in 3 places. 3, 6, 9 with MAPP.[p]The eggs will very easily get 'stuck' in the 250° to 350°range then after the jiggle stick temp will climb.[p]Thinking about having to jiggle stick the lump the problem is most likely air flow resulting from lower size lump or simply bag dumping.[p]I have been thinking of getting a trubograte to see if that makes any difference.[p]Thanks for the help.[p]Kent
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Grandpas Grub,
    Someone stated it in an earlier post. Temperature is a direct coorelation to airflow entering the opening @ the bottom of he egg. Likewise, in order for it to increase the burning of the lump, there must be open airflow up through the lump.[p]If the temp hangs up, either not enough air is entering the opening or the lump is constricting the flow through it.[p]That is why a "shakable" grate is critical.[p]