Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help -- 8 lb Picnic Shoulder

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Arrived home last night to find that my lovely wife had purchased an 8 lb picnic shoulder. Perusing through the forum it seems that most recipes call for Boston Butt. I know the picnic shoulder is not as good a cut and I'm not trying for pulled pork, I just hope to make some super tasty sliced pork. Is the internal temperature I'm shooting for around 175 and about how long should it take to reach that temp? I know that depends on cooking temp -- is 225-250 about right? Thanks to participants for this wonderful forum.[p]EGGS FOR ALL

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    New Egg Lover in Memphis,[p]You are wrong to say the shoulder is not as good as Boston Butt, actually I prefer it. Follow the same method as you would cooking the butt and you will be in for some MY-T-Fine eating. I would go to around the 200* mark for pulled pork on this one for sure.[p]

• New Egg Lover in Memphis,[p]The picnic shoulder is my favorite cook. It is awesome for pulled pork. In my area, the availibility of fresh picnic shoulders is much better than pork (boston) butts. I cook them the same way. An 8 pounder is typical. 225° - 250° for 18 - 20 hours is the norm for me. For the overnight phase, I have found that I need to get the temp up to 250° or I lose the fire. Be sure to load up with plenty of charcoal, at least to the top of the firebox. The most common internal temps that people on this forum shoot for are in the 190° - 200° range. Enjoy. It will be awesome. If you happen to lose the fire, it's no problem with that beautiful hunk of meat. Just fire it up again and finish.[p]Kevin