Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Ham Recipe

Options
East Cobb Eggy
East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all,[p]Just a little help... I am trying to find a good recipe for smoked ham. [p]I believe that Fidel has one but I can't find it.[p]Any suggestions for smoked ham?[p]Thanks,
Greg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I think the Alton Brown city ham gets good reviews. Bente is a big fan.

I just smoke mine. I'm a simple dude. no coatings, bastes, or toppings. just ham, heat, and smoke. 300* until they read 130-135 internal then rest under foil for 30 minutes. Remove the skin and external fat, slice, and eat.

They sure taste good though. The bones make some killer bean soup.

Ham2Small.jpg
  • Fidel,

Thanks for the pic. Looks great.

Do you have a link to the Alton Brown city ham?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    Egret has a good one also.[p]Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)[p]Ingredients :[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks[p]Procedure :[p]The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste[p]2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt [p]

• Smoking Jacket
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,[p]Can't help you with your ham issue, but was curious about your "name". Are you in East Cobb as in Marietta, GA?[p]if so...we are neighbors..I live about a mile from the intersection of Johnson Ferry & Shallowford...you may have smelled a couple of Boston Butts on the egg last night.[p]Smoking Jacket

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    Alton Brown's City Ham gets rave reviews around here[p]
    101_0410.jpg[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    Smoking Jacket,[p]You are right. We are neighbors.[p]I live in across from Tritt Elementary, right near Post Oak Tritt and Johnson Ferry.[p]Greg