Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill level temps??

Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A week or so ago I recall seeing a thread about grill level temps vs dome temp. Would someone enlighten me on this one please? Got the dome temp thing down pretty good. Where do you place a therometer to get grill temps (no smart a remarks)the edge the center. Do you use a polder probe?
how
where
what
I soooo confused[p]carey

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Sundown,
    I put a polder probe as close as I can to whatever's on the grill. Don't put the probe right on the grill, you'll fry it in no time. Some folks push the probe all the way through a cheap hot dog or a potato - I drilled a small hole through a chunk of oak for my "polder holder."

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BlueSmoke,
    The wood chunk idea is a keeper. Amazing what we don't think of until someone "slaps" you out of it! Like the idea the other day for drip pan spacers.....smashed aluminum foil balls.[p]Like the BBQ Hints from Heloise(sp?)!!
    Seeya round.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Sundown,[p]You want the probe as close to the meat as possible. Keep it away from the sides of the unit...the hot air tends to run up the sides.[p]You can poke it thru the meat so it is sticking out underneath it(great for ribs and brisket) OR poke thru a 'tater and place right on top of the meat.[p]Just watch so it is not touching the meat. Also, the cord can be placed under the lid...it will survive.[p]Good Luck![p]bbqflames.gif