Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lamb try

char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend I tried an old lamb shoulder recipe on the BGE. I got this from an old tv show and it worked great on the indoor over several years ago. It came out as a kind of shredded lamb, or pulled lamb. Great flavor. [p]i tried it on the BGE and something went wrong. I had to slice it - it wouldn't pull. it tasted great, but I wonder how I might fix this so it "pulls" better.[p]here is the recipe. Title: Mechoui
Yield: 4 Servings
Ingredients [p] 1 Lamb shoulder - (abt 6 to 7
-lbs)
1/4 lb Unsalted butter
Salt; to taste
Ground cumin; to taste[p]Instructions
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Trim off any loose bits of meat and excess fat, leaving about 1/4 inch of
fat. Put lamb in a roasting pan skin side up, cover with aluminum foil,
androast for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove from oven, uncover, and rub generously with butter. Cover with
foiland return lamb to oven. Repeat 3 more times, once every 15 minutes.
After 3 1/2 hours (total), remove foil, raise heat to 425 degrees and cook 10
more minutes, or until the skin side is gold and crusty.
Remove from oven, place shoulder on a large platter, and let rest for
5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and ground cumin. Carve and serve with salt
and cumin in small dishes on the side.
This recipe yields 4 servings.[p]Recipe Source:
TASTE with David Rosengarten
Recipe from Lotfi's Restaurant in New York
From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # TS-1G26

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    char buddy,[p] First I would bet that you did not adjust for the difference of dome temp vs grate temp.
    When you take a regular receipe like this and convert it to the BGE, you have to use the recomended temps at the grate level not the dome level. The heat difference can run as much as 50 degrees.[p]Just trying to help......[p]Marv

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    char buddy,
    That's a great dish. We had it several times in Morocco where it originates. In effect, it is well-done, fall-off-the-bone roasted lamb. Equivalent for beef is brisket; for pork, a butt. To do the lamb on the Egg, use the same recipe with a thermometer in the meat and cook to 190-200; same pull-apart temp as for the other meats.
    Regards,
    Marvin

• Marvin,[p]Thanks for the tip. I think I'll give it another shot this weekend.