Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought me a cast iron grate for Christmas, and I can't wait to use it for steaks. Do you use the cast iron for other meats, or is it used primarily for getting a good sear on steaks? It seems like it would be fine for everyday use, but I wanted to get other opinions. Thanks.[p]Stephen

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Odie89,[p]I use it for anything I am cooking hot and fast. This means steaks, pork chops, burgers, etc. Use the flat side of it for burgers and the pointed side for steaks and chops. I also use it when I am cooking with skillets or dutch ovens.[p]I do not use it for low and slow cooks, or anytime with poultry or fish.
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Fidel,
    why no fish or poultry on the cast iron?
    thanks,
    bill

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    bill,[p]The CI grate holds and conducts heat better and tends to burn skin. I have seared tuna on the CI, but any other fish either sticks or burns.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Odie89,
    I cut down a cast iron grate and made my own for my small egg. That was a few years ago and I've never gone back to the BGE wire rod one. I just like the way it sears and cooks everything. Kinda like having a preference cooking inside with electricity versus gas...both do the trick, but as the cook you like one over the other! [p]sign me "Sold on cast iron"

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Odie89,[p]Those were the only kind of grates I had on my Weber gasser, so I cooked everything on it...I used the BGE porcelain (because that's what ships) but was missing the cooking characteristics of the cast iron grill. After I got the CI grate, the high temp cooks are really nice. I still use the porcelain grid for anything I'm doing with the plate setter because it is lighter in weight, and I'm usually moving stuff around in there while cooking. Sometimes I'm moving the stuff around to stir the coals, or to add smoking wood and the added weight of the cast iron makes it harder to do, especially when the grate is hot.[p]-Mike[p]
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I asked about cast iron grates here a while back and someone made mention of a 2-piece unit and might have posted a picture. I made a mental note of it and wonder if whoever it was could post again. Seemed like a grate (NPI) idea as you would only need to pull half of it to stoke the fire or add more lump.[p]Rascal

• Beanie-Bean,
    That sounds like a good idea. I will still use the original with the plate setter, but I can't think of a reason not to use the CI for everything else. Thanks for you input.[p]Stephen

• RRP,
    I like the qualities of a good ole cast iron skillet, so I'm sure that will follow with the grate. Thanks.[p]Stephen

• Fidel,
    Thanks for the tip about the burgers, I'll remember that. [p]Stephen

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Rascal,
    If you're talking about the BGE c/i grate that is quite easily and quickly done using a hack saw.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    RRP, Thank you!