Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib ~ Lo-N-Slo Raised Direct With Kreuz Rub

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0134aa.jpg
<p />Now that title says it all.....It looks like a lot of folks are cooking PR's for Christmas, so I thought I'd share the technique I'm using on mine. First the roast; a 6-1/2 pound choice standing rib roast, bones removed for cookin' later. [p]The seasoning was courtesy of my friend thillin who occasionally posts here. It comes from Kreuz Market down in Lockhart, Texas. They have been in business for 107 years and their barbecue is top notch. Basically, the rub is a mix of salt, black pepper and cayenne. It is their standard shoulder clod rub and I'm guessing it is used on their prime rib too. At the counter the prime rib sells for $18/pound and served on butcher paper. If you ask for sauce, they tell you to go somewhere else, my kind of place.[p]The set-up I'm going with is very raised direct, with a 225° temp at the grate, using a small but even fire. Here is an earlier cook.[p]primedirect.jpg[p]Without the bone, I'm shooting for a nice enough crust that an end sear won't be needed. For a baseline, I'm allowing 20 to 25 minutes per pound, but will stick it after an hour with my cable thermometer and monitor the internal until it is finished .... ramping the pit temp up or down as needed. Rest time will be a half hour or less.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
<font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p][p]

Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• thirdeye,[p]Thanks for that, Thirdeye. I'm cooking a six pounder tomorrow and am still debating whether to go low-n-slow like yours or with the TRex-specced 325 degrees. I understand yours produces a more even color throughout where the TRex gives a more done meat at the ends. Is this your experience?

• thirdeye,[p]Just put mine on. Bone in, indirect at 220. Plan to sear/high temp roast at the end. I'll snap some pics to post laster on. [p]Celebrating by drinking an icy cold Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. The wife is rolling sugar cookies and drinking mimosas. I love the holidays. [p]Marry Christmas. Take care. [p]Dave
  • thirdeye
    Jeffersonian,[p]To be honest, I have cooked them using a variety of pit temps from 200° to 350°, but have never done a T-Rex method with one. Before I got hooked on end searing, I seared briefly in a cast iron skillet before going to the pit. It was easier for me to control it.[p]I do think that using lower pit temps makes it easier for me to get an even doneness across the slice, not that plenty of folks can't get a perfectly cooked one at higher temps. Just look at some of the ones that Max and others cook.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Suck Creek Wings,[p]I have been tipping a few Sam Adams Lite's lately. It's a great change from the Ultra I usually have. About two hours before mine goes on the pit.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]Thanks, Thirdeye. I'm probably going to make my roast temp decision based on how much time I have tomorrow...it's always a busy day. I'm going to try the end-searing, too. [p]Ultimately, I think it's hard to screw up such a nice cut of meat unless one burns it to a crisp.

• thirdeye, Where do you buy your Kruez Rub? Do I have to drive to Lochart? It is not on their web site.
    Mike[p]

• thirdeye,[p]Duh...I meant Mad Max's prime rib recipe, not TRex. I'm losin' it.

• thirdeye
    DSC02385a.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,[p]Yes, it is available only at the store and is sold by the pound. The price is really cheap. I use it a lot on burgers and add granulated garlic for a brisket rub. Served up like the picture (add some butcher paper) and you would think you were there. LOL[p]The salt is fine grind and the black pepper is coarse. Looking at it I would guess 3 parts salt to 1 part black pepper....start with this and adjust from there.[p]3 T salt
    1 T black pepper
    1/8 to 1/4 T of cayenne, or to taste.[p][p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Jeffersonian,[p]Okay in that case, let's see here; Max uses an indirect up front sear at 500°, verses an up front sear over direct coals (sometimes flaming), like I usually associate with the T-Rex method. [p]If I had to pick one of those two, based on my skill level of controlling the sear ..... I would pick Max's.[p]But what I was getting at earlier, even though you are heating up the outside faster with a front end sear, it's your skill with the follow through during the rest of the cook that's important for an even doneness. With both of these guys being very skilled, I would like to witness a side-by-side prime rib cook off. That would be something.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]On a long cook like we're talking about here, I'd agree that Max's makes more sense. I'd be afraid of a direct sear drying out over time. I might, though, end-sear directly.[p]I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison, too. Can we conspire now to see it end in a draw, thus requiring yet another competition? (Repeat)
  • thirdeye,
    as always, you're looks great!!!

• thirdeye
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]It will be an interesting afternoon. The wind is blowing from two directions about 50 mph, so hard I held on to the dome with one hand while lighting the Egg for fear it would slam shut. Now I notice my barbecue gloves have gone airborne and left the deck.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Suck Creek Wings,[p]Just getting ready to put mine one and was checking the setup.
    Gettin old, can't remember from one year to the next.[p]Think I'll go with a raised grill with bone side down till 125, rest for 15, then do the sear at the end. Thats worked pretty well before.[p]Have a great holidays.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    thirdeye,
    No doubt it will be fabulous! Merry Christmas to you and yours Wayne. -RP

• thirdeye
    IMG_0154a.jpg
    <p />Well, here are the after pictures. This one went closer to 30 minutes per pound because I ramped the pit temp down to about 215° the last hour. I pulled it at 225° internal.[p]That Kreuz rub was really, really good. And I did pull a small smoke ring.[p]IMG_0155a2.jpg[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~