Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 Hr Brisket -MadMax variety

Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Found a recipe recently for Brisket in 5 hours by Mad Max. With Family coming this evening to open presents, we decided to do something different for Xmas Eve. Turkey and Prime Rib went off great, hope this does as well. Here are the set-up pictures. Will post finsihing pictures and commments this evening.[p]8# Brisket, trimmed packer cut Slathered w/mustard and Ruby's Rub
IMG_0386_resize.jpg[p]Both halves of Brisket rubbed and resting
IMG_0389_resize.jpg[p]Plate setter, drip pan and Grid ready to go
IMG_0390_resize.jpg

Comments

• EagerEgger,
    if those are two (2) four pound pieces, it won't even take 5 hours. .. .after you foil and put them in at 350 degrees, keep a close eye on them. .. it may only take a couple of hours to reach 195 - 200 internal . . .but then, let them stay in the foil and in a towel in the cooler for an hour or two to make sure the colagen really breaks down well ... . the texture may be a bit 'pot roasty', but it should slice just fine and still have a good smoked flavor from the two hours in the smoke. . . and save the juices to serve over them when sliced. ..good stuff. ..

• Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    EagerEgger,
    Brisket looks great. Wondering where the shaver in the pic came from. Looking forward to the after cook pics.

• Max: Thanks, I will save the juices and maybe, like the prime rib juice, add a little beef broth and serve it on the side. I am interested to see what the texture is like. Also have some great Blues Hog BBQ Sauce I want to try out. Appreciate all your help and ideas since I have had a BGE. All The Best for the Holidays. Enjoy the Chinese this evening :-)
    Mike

• Big E, I assume you mean the brisket knife that looks a bit like a hacksaw :-) I cannot find the darn web site, but we purchased it at the Buda Fest (small town south of Austin TX) and today is the first chance I have had to try it out. The blade is essentially a machine meat cutting blade attached to a hand made Mesquite handle. let me try it out today and I will let you know if it works.
    Mike[p]

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    EagerEgger,[p]I see you are on the Rudy's. It's one of my "house rubs". I actually met the late Doc Holliday and tried to pry some information from him on the cream corn recipe they serve. He told me love was the secret ingredient.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye, I live just a mile from one of their locations and 2 miles from The Texas Spice Cpmpany who makes their rub. It's kind of my fall back rub for everything. A friend and I competed recently in a BBQ Contest in Buda and he got 5th [lace in Brisket using Rudy's.
    I love their cream corn and would also like to know how the heck they get their "moist" brisket".

• Big E
    Big E Posts: 51
    EagerEgger,
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the results. Merry Christmas

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Rudyscorn.jpg
    <p />EagerEgger,[p]The "moist" brisket is cut mostly from the point. [p]DSC02853a.jpg[p]Here is the closest thing to a Rudy's style cream corn I have. It came from 5 recipes, several came by way of "tjv" who also lives near a Rudy's. I have this posted on my cookin' site too. Someday, give it a try and do a side-by-side comparson to the real thing. I'd appreciate any feedback.[p]I have a collection of 5 recipes, one of which claims to come from an ex-employee of Rudy's. Some use twice the cream cheese than I think is necessary. Below is my version of cream corn.[p]2 lb frozen super sweet corn, thawed and drained
    As much love as you can spare
    1/2 stick butter, cubed
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1/8 to 1/4 cup whipping cream
    2 to 3 ounces of cream cheese, cubed
    Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste[p]Puree some of the corn to act as a thickener. Add all ingredients except the salt and pepper to a pot and slowly bring up to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. Once the cheese has started to melt, lower the temp and allow the corn to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add sugar as needed to suit your sweet tooth.[p]This can be cooked in the oven in a casserole dish or for real large batches use a crock pot.
    [p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p][p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Hey Guy - yeah, I had to bring some HABARO and JALEPNO >POWDER<.... I found various sources on the net, but Cindy at TX Spice (on Sam Bass) had those, plus some signature blends, I had to get some the night I took off for St. Louis (Thursday).[p]I was sneezing while wrapping, needless to stay.[p]I talked to her about the Dizzy stuff and sounded interested..[p]Anyway, If I don't post/email...[p]I hope and your family have wonderful, joyful, happy holiday.[p]- Jeeves / Mike (in St. Louis)
  • Jeeves,
    Glad to see ya back! Happy Holidays
    Joe

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    ccbassking,[p]thanks - was I really gone? Geeze, 2008 - note, get another egg and spend more time on forum..
    ;)[p]-Jeeves