Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trying babybacks a different way today-technique

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What I find is most folks use a combination of smoke/steam/smoke (3/1/1 for example). I have done this as well with very good results BUT today (since 8 AM) I want to try something else. I am thinking about JUST LEAVING THEM ON (not wrapped but on a rack) FOR 5 or 6 HOURS @ 250 degrees. Also plan on spritzing every hour with apple juice and laying them flat for the last hour with a "raw sugar" blanket and BBQ "chaser" for the last 1/2 hour. WHY you ask? Because if I have any complaint about my ribs.... it is that there is "just the touch" of fall apart tenderness that I do not like. I feel that the steaming process contributes to that and I prefer a "pull off" the bone and less of a "shred off" the bone experience. I realize I could just let the last "smoking" phase last longer but.... ANYBODY JUST LET 'EM COOK????????

Comments

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Options
    veloce,[p]This is similar to the Car Wash Mike Method and they always turn out great for me this way, I never foil my ribs.
  • veloce,[p]Kind of like I do them.[p]Pork, Baby Back, Richard

Proceedure
    1 I like to set the large BGE w/ baby backs indirect plate setter legs up, drip pan w/water, 1 inch deep, "V" rack inverted. 250F apple wood and pecan chips both dry wood. Let cook 3 hours and then every 1/2 hour or so, sprayed w/ 6 parts apple juice and 1 part apple cider vinegar. After 4 hours lightly covered w/ bbq sauce diluted 2-1 w/water just for some flavor.
    2 Figured out a few years back that foil was just to messy for my tastes, but will use it sometimes. Sometimes I will use orange juice and bbq sauce to keep moist, but you got to like sweet for this one. Will pull about 5 1/2-6 hours and cover w/foil on counter until ready to eat a few hours latter. Serve with whatever sauce each likes.
    3 As a senior citizen, most of our friends are past the hot spicy phase in life, save that for Chubby and his crew. Rubbed last night w/ 2 parts crushed red pepper fine, 1 part fine salt and 1 part fine black pepper and into refrigerator.
    Update: 08/25/07-
    1 I like to rub them the night before with whatever rub I am in the mood for. Set up large, indirect with a drip pan of water at 250F with a vertical holder. Cut 3-4 slabs in half and set in the rack. After about 3 hours spritz with orange juice when in a sweet mood, Soy and water when in an oriental one, apple juice and water or worchestershire when in a different mood. Spritz every 30 minutes or so. I do not remove and wrap in foil as many do, just decided a few years back that it was to much hassle, probably too messy. Sometimes I will sauce the last 45 minutes and some times will just take off after 5-6 hours and let everyone sauce themselves. Some like hot sauce, vinegar, or mustard etc. Depending on the crowd.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 05/27/07

[p]

• mb168,[p]You want to know what is GREAT about this forum? I have not visited here in over a year...I ask a relatively detailed question and somebody has an opinion/response in a couple minutes!!....This place is like ATLANTIC CITY. You want to play Poker at 2 AM??? NO PROBLEM...there is a game waiting for YOU !!!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1789.jpg
    <p />veloce,
    I never foil mine!
    My Best,
    Ross

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    veloce,
    that's all i do. expect a longer cook, since the "wet" (steam) methods are more efficient transferring the heat to the meat. i have lately found that my spares actually are best at 9 or even ten hours (250). haven't done b-backs in a while.[p]i know, ten hours is ridiculous. i have no idea if it's my set-up or what. but indirect, at 250 by my thermo (which is spot-on), i need to drink a lot more beer before i can have the ribs. not always a bad thing

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mb168
    Options
    Ross in Ventura,[p]We're sitting here discussing breakfast and now I know what I want...... Those sure look good.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    veloce,[p]Why not take a few minutes and read Car Wash Mike's "Baby Back Rib Class". He has a Guest Pit Boss page on my cookin' site and gives some very good tips on doing them almost exactly like you are talking about. Hit the link and scroll down main street to the PORK section, then select Baby Back Ribs.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

[ul][li]PWF&S[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • mb168
    Options
    stike,[p]I couldn't imagine 10 hrs for ribs. The bones would be mush. The most stubborn rack I've had took me almost 7 hrs. I do bump the temps up though ala CW Mike but I think this helps more the crust and carmelizing the sauce. I don't think I could wait that long, I do good to wait 5-6 hrs since they make my whole yard smell so good.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Ross in Ventura,
    don't want to alarm you, but Egret is sure eyeing those ribs!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    veloce,
    I have to mention up front that i have only cooked ribs on my BGE once so far, so I reserve the right to change my mind :)[p]I never foil my ribs. I have tried it and I don't like the texture. Prior to having an Egg I cooked ribs in either a WSM or my Ace of Hearts Rodeo (formerly The Good One model 42). Both have a vertical airflow similar to an Egg so I don't think I will start foiling with the Egg. My theory (totally un-tested) is that cookers with a horizontal airflow like a traditional offset can dry out the meat due to the air passing over the surface of the meat while cookers with a vertical airflow like an Egg don't dry out the meat as much since the airflow is around the meat not across the meat.[p]BTW, my normal cook time for baby backs is 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 250. Of course it depends on the size of the ribs, but 6 hours may be too long.

• stike,
    We can't have any food, no matter how good it is, slowing down the alcohol absorbtion process, now can we?

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mb168,
    nah. bones were fine. i honestly have no clue what the deal is.[p]i would typically go 6 or 7 hours. last two batches went 9 or so.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Ron_L,[p]How was the trip to the UK man? Any interesting food stories?[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    That is the way I cook them. Put them on at 225-235 and walk away for 4 1/2 hours. I then sauce them and let them cook until I feel they are done.[p]If you sauce your ribs you don't even have to put a rub on them as the sauce will overpower whatever rub you use.[p]Spacey - Keeping it simple

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Very colorful signature![p]The UK trip was fine. I was there with a group of 12 others from all around the world so we did group dinners so nothing adventurous. We had Indian one night but I think they toned down the seasoning since we were a large, diverse group. it was actually boring. The best meal was a free range pork chop at a local pub. It was baked with a beer-mustard glaze made from a local stout and served on top of a pile of bubble and squeak and along side a pile of great garlic smashed taters.[p]The highlight of the trip was the King and Castle pub across from Windsor Castle. Great beer and great fish and chips.[p]

• thirdeye
    Options
    IMG_0108a.jpg
    <p />Ron_L,[p]Sounds good. It's funny how bar food is usually pretty good. Last night at the House of Thirdeye, I made fish and chips with a vinegar slaw.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    DSC02346.jpg
    <p />veloce,
    That's basically the way I did these. However, I just left them in the rack troughout the whole cook at around 225-230 no drip pan, mixture of hickory and apple wood for about 5 1/2 hours. Came out pretty good. Started spritzing with apple cider around 1 hour into the cook (Thanks Carwash). A lot of times I prefer not to even put sauce on mine. The mixture of Gate's and Blues Hog rub that I put on them in the beginning was something i did not want mask. Anyway,I will definately do it this way again. Some of the best ones yet.
    DSC02344.jpgDSC02343.jpg

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    veloce,
    I have cooked ribs that way many times, with good results...there is no right or wrong way to cook ribs, or anything else for that matter...it's all about trying differnt techniques and choosing which one YOU like the best...I'm sure you will have success with the cook...But you also need to consider that no 2 pieces of meat ever cook exactly the same...[p]Wess