Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Controlling Temps. . .

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
post below about temp control 101 I noticed several people said if you close the bottom damper the fire will go out. Well, unless my Egg is just totally unique, that isn't exactly a true statement. I've been able to close both the bottom damper and the daisy wheel and have my dome temp stabilize around 210 degrees. The key here is not slamming the bottom damper all the way shut but rahter just closing it eneough to cover the damper opening. I then will close my daisy wheel all the way then just barely back it back open. To the naked eye the daisy wheel looks closed but in reality there is eneough of an opening to allow air in and keep you fire going. Now, I've not tried this on real long cooks like a brisket or butt, but I have done Babybacks this way and was able to cook them direct w/o scorching them.

Comments

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    MasterQnot,[p]I have done as you describe with the bottom vent open, as well as having the bottom vent completely closed. And in both situations, I've been able to keep a fire alive for a long time (butt cooks and jerky cooks). During the hot AZ summers, vent settings is a tough thing for anything in the sub-250 area.[p]--sdb