Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bolts to raise XL grill

Options
jonesey
jonesey Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I apologize but I can't find the pic somone was nice enough to post showing how to raise the grill on an XL. The picture had several bolts and washers used to raise up the grill. I did a search but can't locate. I would love to find that post again if anyone remembers. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    Jonesey,
    This was what I did on the Large.
    08-22.jpg
    18" weber replacement grid. This would probably work on an XL too just a smaller area but I don't know what fits with the geometry of the dome on an XL

• jonesey
    Options
    Flashback Bob,
    Thanks.that's it. Can you send me the size bots you used?

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    jonesey,
    You can NOT raise the XL grid as much as you can the large..much more than a couple of inches and the dome wont close....you should do some trial and error to see what you can get away with heigth wise....[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    DSC00037.JPG
    <p />jonesey,
    BGE does now sell a raised grid set up for the XL..pictured here...there are othe alternatives which you can see if you look at my "pulled pork on the XL" in the cooks section of my website...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB's[/ul]
  • jonesey
    Options
    WessB,
    This is great.......thanks

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    jonesey,
    WessB knows of what he speaks!
    I think his advice to experiment is a good idea too.
    FWIW- I think the bolts I used were 4.1/2" x 3/8" and had a pair of washers and one nut securing them to the grid and two nuts and one washer at the bottom providing feet that enable it to set atop your regular grid.[p]In use, my raised grid is just about level with the rim of the Egg. I don't have an XL, so I don't know what size would give you enough height without the food hitting the dome. One thing you could try is doing the raised grid as I did and adjust the nuts (feet) until you are at the desired height. Hacksaw off the excess bolt or leave it in case you want to retain that adjustability.[p]I like being able to get everything at the hardware store and doing it myself rather than waiting for an order to ship and paying more. One thing about BGE accessories though, they all seem to have more than one use!