Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken breast/skin on and off

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a package of chicken breast (bone in), will be doing 3 of them indirect, 2 skinless, one with skin. Light coat of olive oil,pepper,parsley and oregano. Do most of you prefer to cook with the skin on or off?????
Thanks,
New Bob

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    New Bob, Doing them indirect, you either need to mariade the skinless ones or brush frequently with olive oil or something to keep them moist.
    I do them with the skin so that the fat and skin helps to keep the meat moist. After cooking I then remove the skin, brush lightly with a bbq sauce then leave them on for another 5 min and take 'em off.
    I think even grilling them quick with out the skin dries them out too much, but I'm sure I will get flack for saying that.
    Just my thoughts on it.[p]Marv

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    I'm with Marv...dang, he realy does know sumthin about cookin! A treat to have such a wide diversity of experiences here.[p]I always cook with the skin on, and for those that don't like skin I remove toward the end of the cook. Brush on some of your olive oil mixture after yanking off the skin (comes off easily with tongs) and brown the skinless meat at the end of your cook.[p]have fun! Wings and tater/leek soup here tonight.
    Beers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bordello
    Options
    Marv ,
    Thanks, I usually do them direct but thought I would try it this way just to see the difference. All help is appreciated.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Glad to see the two of you are in agreement, I try pulling the skin on the one that has it as you suggested. May put some Jim Beam Q sauce on at the end.
    Thanks, and Beers to ya.
    New Bob (having a vodka) ÿÿÿ

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    I vote direct also! Especially for breastisses. You want some good browning by the time the meat is done...which doesn't take very long!
    Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    New Bob,
    With bone in I like em with the skin on. If they're boneless I like the skin off.
    B D

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm liking this idea. I've done far more with the skin off, because when I cook skin on, I don't eat the skin, and anything rubbed on the skin gets thrown away. Yanking the skin off mid-cook, and then mopping/rubbing it at that point makes a lot of sense. I'll try that next time.[p]Bottom line, I like skin off, when the cook is done, since it's a bit healthier to not eat the skin, but I don't want to miss the flavor. Only con to this approach is that the meat may not absorb as much smoke as it would if the skin were off the entire time. Still seems like an excellent compromise.[p]--sdb