Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large BGE Accessories?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, thanks to all those eggers that responded to my first thread. And so it is said, so shall it be done. Ya’ll solidified my commitment to purchasing a large BGE. So on to question number two. What “eggessories” do I need or would you recommend for the large BGE? I want to do it all, “Q”, grill and maybe even pizza. If I am going to spend the money, I might as well get the whole package. What is one more day of overtime? Anybody with pizza experience? Is it worth the money? What else can I do with it? Well what ever, I am looking for suggestions and advise from the “eggsperts”. Thanks again, BigDuck

Comments

• BigDuck,[p]First, welcome aboard. You won't regret the money, believe me.[p]You'll get lots of advice on this question. First, the obvious: ash tool and grate grabber.[p]Next: Polder or polder style remote thermometer. Plate setter. Pizza stone (I'm certainly not an expert pizza maker but it's worth the money). Tin bucket or metal can so you can clean out old ash easier. Drip pan of some sort (I used my wife's old baking pans). Tim M's web page is a good place to learn about accessories. Email me for the URL.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BigDuck,
    The platesetter (very handy for both indirect Qing and to hold a pizza stone.)
    A couple of Polder-type thermometers.
    A few different sizes of shallow disposable drip pans.
    An extra cooking grid.
    5 or 10 boxes of firestarter cubes or sticks.
    Some Pecan, Sugar Maple, Apple, Cherry and Hickory chunks.
    A v-rack.
    Comfortable/sturdy set of tongs.
    Hot mit glove or two.[p]Have fun! And stock up on spices.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Kelly Keefe,[p]Nice list. I'd add a way to start it: chimney starter, electric starter, or starter chunks or (Weber) parrafin cubes. Also a Bic butane "Sure Start" or the like. And some good tongs; the Oxo ones are my favorite. Wood chunks are always a good idea, too.[p]Have fun, BigDuck! And welcome. JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nature Boy, Oh yes, don't forget the mitts! JCA

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    BigDuck,
    Yes, by all means, plate setter and pizza stone. Pizza does require a bit of learning but once you get it down, you'll take Domino's off speed dial. Saw someone recommended TimM's site. It's a very good place to start with both learning and what toys you need.
    One thing I always add...a BIG empty freezer. That way when meat goes on sale, you've got a place to stock up.
    Also, are you much of a handy man. Many of us have our Egg's in tables.
    Good eating and enjoy! We'll be expecting reports!

• BigDuck,
    I think I read where you are from Houston. I live in Spring. Got my Egg at Barbeques Galore on FM-1960 a couple of years ago and haven't regretted a single moment. In fact, the process of learning a new way of cooking was well worth the cost. I had a small briskit and some country style ribs on it this past weekend and I was real proud of myself. They were good. The next one's will be even better. I'm still learning and enjoying every minute of cooking on my Egg. I also took the time to set my Egg up right to make cooking convenient. I built a really nice table out of cedar. Goes great on my deck. Send me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you a photo. My e-mail address is lmcmillin@houston.rr.com.[p]Oh yea, you are doing right by going to the Forum for information. It will not only save you a lot of time and eliminate a lot of mistakes, you will benefit greatly from the many creative cooking geniuses out there. [p]Leroy McMillin
    aka Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• BigDuck,[p]As an alternative to the chimney starter or firestarter cubes, try a propane or MAPP torch. So much fun it ought to be illegal.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    BigDuck,[p]You've made a decision I think you will be very happy with for a long, long time. Welcome to the forum.[p]Just to expand on other folks suggestions...
    ~a cast iron daisy wheel (makes for easy temp control)
    ~BGE flip-up grill extender (or can rig your own)
    ~firebricks (cheap alternative to a platesetter, can get the setter later if money is tight)
    ~Electric starter (I seem to run out of webber starters and forget to buy more. Always have electric on hand, tho)
    ~BGE porcelain grate scrubber (love mine)[p]Hope this helps and Congratulations!
    WD

• BigDuck,
    Regarding pizza, I bought the 14" stone and found that it wasn't big enough. If you are only going to do smallish pizzas, it is ok, but I buy 14" pizzas unbaked from the local pizza place and a 14" pizza won't fit on a 14" stone. You might consider going to Crate and Barrel as they have a 16" stone that is just perfect. Some will say that you have to be careful about leaving enough space around the edge for air to circulate, and I've found that a 16" stone works just fine. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BigDuck,
    Let me humbly and modestly recommend that you visit my website (address is below) and view the video on Flashbacks. It should put the fear of God into you so that you don't learn the hard way. [p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I've had my large for almost three years, and besides the obvious (lump, something to light it with, wood chips/chunk, drip pan, roasting rack, food to cook on it, rubs/marinades to flavor the meat, beer to drink while cooking) the only "must have" accessories I bought are the thermometer and daisy wheel. I don't have firebricks, an ash tool, grid lifter or fireproof gloves. I do have a pizza stone, but I use it more in the oven than the egg.
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    BigDuck,[p]First, congratulations on your choice. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.[p]I have the following:[p] o BGE plate setter
    o BGE pizza stone
    o BGE dome thermometer
    o BGE grill gripper
    o BGE ash tool
    o BGE cover
    o BGE rib rack
    o 2 extra grill grates (Webers)
    o 5 fire bricks
    o Redi-Check remote thermometer
    o a make shift table (new one underconstruction)
    o cargo box to store the lump in (vs. the bags)
    o scoop to scoop out the lump
    o lump
    o smoking woods[p]Since buying the plate setter, I only use 2 fire bricks, as a means to create two cooking levels, and only need one extra grill grate. A plate setter is useful for both pizza cooking, and indirect cooking. It's much more expensive than fire bricks, but easier to use.[p]I rarely use the cover. The rib rack is useful for ribs, roasts, and turkeys.[p]Enjoy![p]--sdb

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    BigDuck,[p]IMHO Spin and Ms. Spin do some pretty good pizza. And he's got lots of tips for the uninitiated...great people willing to help[p]Yell at him he'll respond