Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt Cook

DrummerDawg
DrummerDawg Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did my first Boston Butt this weekend. I used the method on GFW's site. Cooked it at 200-225 for most of the time and then increased to 250 toward the end. 20 hours in all. It was fantastic. [p]I was near the BGE HQ store on Friday and I stopped by to pick up some more starter squares. Told the guy in there (wish I knew his name because he is so nice) what I was going to do and he tried to talk me into an 8 hour butt cook. I may try that some day, but I went for the longer method this time. I couldn't have been happier with the results. I will be doing 2 more this weekend for a Super Bowl party we will be going to.[p]Thanks to all on this site who have helped me get up to speed in the last month of ownership.[p]DrummerDawg
[ul][li]First_Butt_Cook[/ul]

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    DrummerDawg,[p]Congratulations and thanks for sharing the great pictures. Definitely fill the firebox more.[p]Spin
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    DrummerDawg,[p]Very nice! Excellent pics, too. We'll be feasting this weekend for the game, as well. On our tentative menu are pulled pork, pork spares, and wings. Should be a blast.[p]Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,
    Cornfed

• DrummerDawg, hey, way-ta-go. Those first butts are exciting and frustrating too. Yes, stoke that coal in there up to and even-to the fire ring for really long cooks. And I will agree now with the BGE guy at the store. You can do a butt in 9 or 10 hours and it turns out very fine indeed. I have cooked dual butts for over 30 hours and they were magnifique. But Guru of Grease's wife did one really fast (about 9 hours) and it was among the finest I have had too. So, even though it goes against the grain of us perfectionists,, you can do just as good a job without taking seveal days to do it.. Congrats on your successful first..

• Cornfed, greetings buddy.. We need to add letters to let that Heeeeeeee,,, have a slight inhaling sound. You know,, like the sound Deputy Dawg use to make...? I can see it,, but just can't letter it so it will project properly. :)

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    K.O.C.,
    LOL. I think that Deputy Dawg "heeeeeeee" was kind of an inhale sound. lol. You're cracking me up. I totally forgot about that Deputy Dawg "Heeeeee". I can see it now...somehow amazingly retrieving the data from some long stored information...even through the haze of destroyed braincells. Didn't he kinda shrug his shoulders up and down while heeeee-ing???[p]lol! thanks for the memory.
    What sound did Squidly Diddly make??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Nature Boy,[p]OK, I don't know about Deputy Dawg, but I've been relatively on topic lately (at least for me), so I thought I'd reward myself by posting what I think should become the official forum .wav. Behold, from the Beverly Hillbillies, a classic Buddy Epson "Well, doggie!"[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    DrummerDawg,
    Try this post[p]I must say, that has to be one of the most relaxing pictures of the egg home in ages. I can feel myself sitting there
    having a beer ( or two ) waiting for the ribs.
    Great shots

• Earl, where,, where?? I saw this same post three minutes before this one,, but I missed the lounge area.

• OHhhh,, I found it. Missed it first pass. I might as well get another fist full of pork and a bun,,, and a cool one on my third pass. I'm getting full,, where's the cots?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Cornfed,[p]I 'll have to tell you that ole Jed Clampett was one of my childhood heros. Had millions of $ that didn't go to his head, loyal to his family, roots and houndog, perpetually happy and nothing seemed to rile him... even Granny. Had a right purty tomboy daughter, too.
    Full of class that feller.[p]Like NB, my recollections are a bit fuzzy at times... especially talkin' 30+ years.
    I listened to that wav. file, and have to respectfully say that my mind still hear's that man belting out not "Well, doggie!" but,
    "Wooooooooodoggeees!" [p]Black Gold and Texas Tea to ya,
    WD