Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire box

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to smoke a butt for long periods. What is considered the top of the fire box. How much charcoal do you need to cook for 10 hrs? Thanks

Comments

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    There are two "inserts" in the egg. The lower, bowl-shaped part is the firebox and the upper, ring-shaped piece is the fire-ring. A full fire-box will probably last you at least ten hours on a low and slow cook.
  • hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    There are two "inserts" in the egg. The lower, bowl-shaped part is the firebox and the upper, ring-shaped piece is the fire-ring. A full fire-box will probably last you at least ten hours on a low and slow cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    bama1,
    i fill half way up the ring that sits on the fire box. that will get you there

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    bama1,[p]Like the man with no fish said, I fill mine to the middle of the ring - the uppermost ceramic insert piece.[p]Also, depending on the size of your butt, I would think you will need to plan on a bit more than 10 hours. Filled to the middle of the fire ring should get you at least 25 hours at 250.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    bama1,[p]Fire box = bottom piece (aligns with lower vent).[p]Fire ring = top piece 'ring'[p]For long cooks I have filled to the top of the ring. (top of the top) - possibly a bit too much lump but it works.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    bama1,[p]How high you need it depends partially on how good or how bad your charcoal is. If you are using a heavy/dense lump like Wicked Good, you can get away with less. Royal Oak seems to be a good measure and filling as the others suggest will easily go ten hours. In any case it doesn't hurt to load it up since anything left is re-usable.
  • HokieBGE
    Options
    bama1,[p]10 hours is no problem at all. Regardless of how long I think I might need to cook, I fill my XL up to the top of the fire box (bottom of the fire ring). I've done some very large briskets for 20+ hours and still had half the charcoal left. Then next cook you just stir the remaining coals around so the ashes drop through. Then top off with fresh lump.