Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh pork leg

Options
T-Que
T-Que Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's experimentation time.... I just bought a Fresh Bone in pork leg. I assume is a Ham that has not been smoked. My plan was to do it low and slow like a Boston Butt. Rub it down with a dry rub and let cook for 15+ hours. But before I removed it from the Cryo-pack I thought I would see if I am on the right track. Should I handle this like a Butt or is this a piece of meat I should brine or soak in a cure first? It has a good layer of fat all the way around it so I would assume it will be self basting, but I'm not sure does this leg need to be basted during the cook.
Thoughts? ideas? experience?[p]Thanks in advance,
T-Que

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    T-Que,[p]We're going to need to know if it's a shoulder or a fresh ham before we can answer easily.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    IMG_4878.jpg
    <p />T-Que,
    Does the leg look like this?
    This is a front leg, not the ham.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]That looks more like a picnic and a butt than a front leg.[p]Wheeeee
  • Clay Q
    Options
    IMG_4880.jpg
    <p />Fidel,
    Actually part of the butt is trimmed off. I like that part, wish it was attached, heeeeee.

IMG_4886.jpg

• T-Que
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Thanks for the replies. I had no idea the procedure would be different for the different cuts so close together. I can take a picture of it and post so it can be identified. What is the best/easiest way to post a picture to the forum?
    Thx,
    T-Que

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    T-Que,
    Upload photos to a Photobucket account (free). Copy the
    Direct link and paste it in the Optional image URL block on the forum. Or copy the HTML code and paste into the Comments block.[p]Mike

• T-Que
    Options
    Mike in Abita,
    OK, it took me some time to get back with digital picture in hand and get a Photobucket account but here it is. The pork leg I bought is still in Cryo-pack so this is the best picture I could get. Will this work to tell you what I have and the best way to prepare this 18+lb beast?
    FreshPorkButt1.jpg[p]FreshPorkButt3.jpg
    Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    T-Que

• Clay Q
    Options
    T-Que,
    Looks like a ham. I'd brine it four days before smoking.
    I like the low salt brine ratio of; 1 cup Kosher salt to 1 gallon water. Also add to each gallon a cup of brown sugar, 1 clove crushed garlic, 2 teaspoons cracked pepper, cup of chopped onion, 3 bay leaves. I think 2 gallons of brine will cover the ham.
    I haven't cooked a fresh ham so I can't help with details.
    Check around for recipes and see what sounds good to you. Brining helps to keep the meat juicy and tender. Good luck and have fun.

• T-Que
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Can you take a look at my last post. I put some pics in it showing what cut of pork it is. Its label says "Fresh Bone in Pork Leg". The concensus is it's a fresh ham. About 18.5lbs bone in. ClayQ suggested brining for 4 days but has not done one so no further instructions. Any help is appriciated.
    I was also thinking about reposting it with pics. It is buried as you know under 2 days of posts.[p]Thx in advance for your help.
    T-Que