Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting

Options
City Slicker
City Slicker Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering what kind of outdoor lighting you all have had the most success with for lighting up the egg and specifically the grid area in the dark. All I am using now is the porch light and a flashlight. Was thinking of mounting a spot up on the eaves trough but that would give shadows on the grid I think. Maybe this is too simple a question to even ask, but you never know, hoping someone has discovered a worthy product to do the job.[p]Thanks
City "Can't see in the Dark" Slicker

Comments

• Michael B
    Options
    CitySlicker,

[ul][li]Headlamp[/ul]
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    CitySlicker,
    I use one of these. Clamped to a 2X under my cooking shed.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Clamp Lamp[/ul]
  • CitySlicker, I had an old lamp in the attic that has a small weighted base and sockets for two bulbs each covered buy a cone shade on a flexneck. I simply set it on the table next to the egg. In the last day or three someone asked about an L-shaped table for two eggs, and someone responded with a pic of their setup. Their eggs were between their house and a shed if I remember correctly, and they had a string of lights over the egg.I think several lights such as that would work great because if you are blocking the light from one bulb you are still getting light from many others. Another advantage is not having what you are looking at washed out by one bright light. In the bbq section of many stores I have seen small battery operated lights specially made for grills, but am doubtful that a light running on a couple of AA's is ideal. Good luck.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    CitySlicker,
    this is my favorite since it's hands free and extremely bright.
    IMG_00611.jpg

then my alternative when I don't want to look like such a dork with company I use this unit from Lowes - about 20 bucks. It mounts with a rare earth magnet and comes off easily.
    IMG_1615.jpg

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    CitySlicker,
    If I need 'em I've got my Spring Chicken Cap Lights.[p]MVC-017S.jpg[p]If I'm cooking in The Coop, I've got my chandeliers.[p]CoopLights3-25-07.jpg[p]Spring "I Light Up My Life" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

• CitySlicker,
    At the time I use one of the magnetic lights. It clamps onto the Egg hinge and has the flex wire. I just finished a pergola on the end of my house where the Egg is. Next, I am going to build an outdoor kitchen with track lights to light the cooking surface and Egg. Picture will follow when I finish the work. [p]MC Jerry

• Mike in MN
    Options
    RRP,
    Is that a backup light? It looks like it's mounted on the rear of the hardhat. It doesn't beep, does it?[p]Sorry.... Just kidding. That would work nice.[p]I have a motion light with 2 150 watt spots that shine on the egg and my work area. Light is not a problem. It's also right outside the kitchen door, so when it's miserable cold here, I can observe from the kitchen.[p]Mike in MN

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    CitySlicker,
    I have a cheap three LED ‘clamp on” that I got at Loews in the BBQ dept. This thing is not the greatest of solutions. The off color somewhat dim light it gives off makes it hard to judge the progress of things if you’re grilling.
    If you have a regular incandescent in your kitchen try looking at you food with light blue sunglasses on and you’ll have the same effect.
    I’m going to upgrade to flood lights.
    I think I’m going to get a headlamp now that I see others using that solution.