Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizers for a meal

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a few friends over for steaks and they love them! Best they have ever had.[p]I want to cook a meal of nothing but different appetizers. [p]Was thinking:[p]Seared Tuna
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Wings: Some marinaded in creole sauce, some with Jerk, bbq, and my special jalepeno/lime sauce. (1 part Jalepeno tabasco sauce, 1 part corn syrup and a squeeze of lime)[p]I'm drawing a blank on what else that I could cook. Don't want to have to adjust the temps too much as I only have 1 lg egg and would like to be able to serve most of it at the same time.

Comments

• Nate Dogg,
    You could do ABT's, Brie Cheese, smoked meatballs, some shrimp, sliders, etc.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    fd44046f-1.jpg
    <p />Nate Dogg,[p]Some of Chubby's planked brie would be good. [p]Look in the Appetizer section....

[ul][li]PWF&S[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Nate Dogg,[p]Randy's (AZRP) Spicy shrimp are terrific.[p]Ingredients:
    1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for
    a handle, butterflied
    2 Clove Garlic, minced
    1 Tbs Kosher salt
    1 tsp Paprika
    1/2 tsp Cayene pepper
    2 tsp Lemon juice
    2 Tbs Olive oil[p]
    Cooking Directions:[p]Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with
    the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal(easier).
    Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayene pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive
    oil.
    Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting
    down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now.
    Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at
    about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight
    and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tellwhen they are done, don't overcook!

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Nate Dogg,
    In addition to the other suggestions, try some stuffed mushrooms, use PP, shrimp, crab or any other item that can be topped with cheese!. What time do we eat?

• Fidel,[p]I made these soon after I got my BGE, and they were absolutely wonderful.[p]Additionally if you follow the recipe, they are very easy.[p]Greg
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Nate Dogg,
    no veggies on the menu? how about some grilled asparagus?

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Nate Dogg,[p]Sounds good...thanks for reminding me about the scallops. I had some at a restaurant last weekend, and was thinking about doing some BGE-style.[p]You might want to get the cooker going with a fattie, then bump the temp up for the remainder of the cook.[p]-Mike[p]
  • Nate Dogg,[p]Potato skins with crumbled Pig candy.
    Nacho's with pulled pork
    Veggie shish-k-bobs

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Nate Dogg,[p]I've started making ABT's in several variations at a time like you're doing your wings, from plain cream cheese and mild to stuffed with meat and hot sauce mixed in with the cheese. Pretty reliable to time these things too in the 30-40 minute range.
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Nate Dogg, This one is an excellent one I found in a plank cooking book about 10 years ago....[p]
    Here is a recipe for a great Brie cheese with roasted garlic and peppers. I obtained this from a cookbook called Sticks & Stones by Ted Reader and Kathleen Sloan. [p]1 maple plank, soaked
    2 small wheels Brie (1/4 pound each.)
    2 heads garlic, separated and peeled
    1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. olive oil
    2 green onions finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
    2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
    2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper.
    Preheat grill to high.[p]With a sharp knife, scrape rind off of the top of each wheel of Brie to expose cheese, set aside.
    Heat 1/2 cup oil in a small sauté' pan and add whole cloves if garlic. Reduce heat to medium and simmer garlic in oil until softened and beginning to color, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to small bowl to cool. Reserve garlic flavored oil for another use. Mash garlic cloves using the back of a fork. (I skip all that non-sense and just toss in a teaspoon or two of store bought minced garlic in a jar). Add green onions, red pepper, thyme, balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp. olive oil and black pepper. Season with salt to taste, Spread garlic and pepper mixture over tops of Brie wheels (I heat the mixture on the stove first). Place soaked plank on grill, close lid and bake for 10 minutes or until it begins to crackle and smoke. Being careful of smoke, open lid and place cheeses on plank. Close lid and plank-bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cheese begins to melt and bubble. Remove planked cheese from grill. Serve with slices of crusty bread, flat bread, or crudite's.[p]Rick