Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pork butt tonight

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first butt tonight. With all the great info here I'm sure it will be great. I am a little anxious.I wonder if I'll be able to sleep Maybe a little Jack will help.

Comments

• Zen Egger
    Options
    TomM24,
    Watch out for Jack. He has a tendency to over stay his welcome sometimes. Would hate for him to get you sidetracked and not able to get up in the AM!!!

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 75
    Options
    TomM24,[p]I just did my first cook - pork butts - last night. Thanks to TJV for stopping by to help me out and provide tips to me. One thing that was really beneficial to me (aside from all the help from Tom) was being able to tell the temp of the egg from the warmth of my bed. Tom said the Maverick ET73 has 2 probes so you can monitor the grid temp. We rigged something up on my wireless (only one probe) so I got the grid temp but no food temp. I've got to fix my dome thermo and buy a thermapen and then I'll probably just use my wireless probe to monitor the grid temp from now on.[p]Good luck!
  • BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    TomM24,[p]Depending on where you live make sure you save a little of that Jack for the Sunday celebration of your first successful butt cook. In some parts you still cannot make that much needed likker purchase on Sundays

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    TomM24,[p]You'll be fine. Follow Naked Whiz method if you are worried ( www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm ) and you can't mess it up.[p]The Jack is a good idea, Tanqueray works for me.[p][p]
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans