Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt choosing question

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the mood to do an overnight cook, I think I'll run to the grocery and buy a Boston Butt.[p]I've cooked several in the past and they always come out great using TNW simple method and Elder Ward style.[p]Tonight I'm going to shoot some Cajun Injector (Garlic flavor) into the butt. I'm all ready, I cleaned out the egg and will load it with some Ozark Oak and pecan wood chunks. So now all I have to do is buy the meat.[p]Usually when I pick out the butt I just eyeball it, look at the weight and price.

Is there anything I should be looking for when choosing the Boston Butt?[p]What makes one butt better then the other?[p]Will I notice a difference if I pay big buck$$$ for one at Whole Foods instead of buying one from a normal grocery store? [p]Any suggestions on tonights slow cook that will help me will be appreciated

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Tiger Tony, I'm not sure if there is a difference in meat quality, isn't pig just pig. Unlike beef which is graded. In picking out multiple butts, I try to find similar size, shape and no jagged edges. Uniformity is good for even cooking.[p]But then all this coming from a guy who lives in brisket country, LOL. T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Tiger Tony,
    i always try to get the one that was on the sunny side of the pig... the other side, well... didn't see the sun much.[p]seriously, i'm not sure it matters much... unlike the left handed brisket story *grin*

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    tjv, and Rick,
    Thanks! I figured that butt:) wasn't sure.
    You saved me some money , I'll just go to Winn Dixie and buy the butt instead of paying premium price at WF

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Look for the butts that lean to be more on the pink side. Stay away from those that have visible or deep red blood lines in the meat. Bone in is better to me and I wish Costco would leave the bone in because they always have good cuts. A nice fat cap is good because if cooked righ sometimes offers nice bark for finer chopping. Personally I do not like Whole Food butts. For that matter I feel all Whole Foods meats lack something. For butts I usually go with the name like Smithfield or Hormel.

• michael
    Options
    I'm smoking a butt now also. Got it from Ingles and I think it will be fine. I also use Elder Ward cooking instructions. I have used Stubbs marinaide and basting sauce with good results on pork. Also used John Henry's Pecan Rub with good results. I haven't tried any of the Dizzy Pig products but they look good.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]Just make sure it isn't "enhanced" or "solution added" or anything like that.[p]Some of the major brands of pork tend to "enhance" their cuts with up to 15% salt water.