Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Ideas

Options
Beachbum
Beachbum Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Been to Mad Max's website, Smoke & Fire Website... I am in charge of the prime rib for Christmas dinner. Some of you might remember my almost near disaster at Thanksgiving with the pulled pork, so I am a little nervous being responsible for such an expensive piece of meat! LOL[p]Just give me some tips on buying one, setting up the Egg, and internal temps (min/max). I like mine pretty rare, but my mom does not.[p]Help and thanks in advance![p]Lisa

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Beachbum,[p]Buy one bone-in. Do not trim any of the fat off it. Cook it indirect at 325 for roughly 15-18 minutes per pound until it reads 128 internal. It will rise to about 135 internal which is a nice medium rare. The end pieces will be closer to medium. You can sear it at the beginning (which is my preference), or at the end just letting the temps rise to form a nice crust. The risk is getting it over done with the end sear method. You can also just roast it without a sear, but in my opinion the crust makes the roast what it is.[p]If you are doing a larger roast (i.e. more than 5-6 pounds) and have multiple people who would like theirs more on the medium side, cut your roast into two roasts to have more end pieces. If you really want rare, you can pull one of the two roasts at 122-125, and the other at 128-130. This will give you a pretty broad range of doneness to appease multiple guests.[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Fidel,
    if he's not confident with going direct, indirect, etc. for fear of messing it up, he can always go low for the majority of the cook, indirect at maybe 250 until internal is 125-30, then jack the dome to 500 (still indirect) to develop the crust.[p]many a good crust has been developed without the sear, from the high heat and good layer of fat.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Beachbum,[p]Buy the best grade you can afford. USDA Prime can run upwards of $15 a pound, but it is worth it if you can find it. I try not to buy the bargain roasts in the $5 a pound range, so I look for a USDA Choice one in the $9 a pound range.[p]Try to get a bone-on one with a nice red color, good marbling and a thin layer of fat. Remember, fat will give you flavor and moisture. I prefer not to have the bone pre-cut away from the roast, but it's hard to find one that has not been. They are attached with string. You can untie them to add seasoning to the inboard side of the ribs, then tie back up.[p]If you think several guests will want end cuts, buy two roasts instead of one. If you feel some like their meat rare, and others medium rare...two roasts cooked to different internal temperatures may be the way to go.[p]It's better to undercook than overcook. If it's good quality beef and properly rested, some folks that eat a steak medium will opt for a medium rare slice of prime rib. If you keep the cooker going during the rest and while carving, you can always put a slice back on for 30 seconds or so if needed to satisfy your guests that want something more done. (A trick is to only cook mostly on one side, lightly on the other, then plate the slice with the more done side up. The eyes are fooled and you have a better chance of not drying out the slice).[p]If you have some big eaters (the Fred Flintstone type), put the ribs back on the cooker toward the end of the rest or after you slice the roast. This way you can serve a rib as a "second portion" rather than another slice. If you have some light eaters (like Wilma), or just folks that are not big meat eaters, serving them ribs can be a special treat they have never had in a restaurant. Just be sure to have a finger bowl with lemon water for them. [p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • vinnysprimerib-049.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    yabba dabba doooooo![p]as in do put those ribs back on for about another hour cause they won't be happy yet when the roast is at 125-130

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Beachbum, What was the URL for the Smoke and Fire website?
    Thanks
    Mike[p]

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]
    [ul][li]This one?[/ul]
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Fidel, Thanks! That's the one. Just added it to my desk top.
    Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]That's what I'm talkin' about.[p]~t~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery