Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Effect of sudden downpour on very hot egg

JDub
JDub Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been fortunate in that I've yet to experience a sudden downpour while cooking. I'm concerned that if the egg is very hot that a sudden, heavy downpour could cause the ceramic to crack. Has anyone out there got any experience to share?

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JDub,[p]No issues. I have had long cooks, short cooks, hot cooks, low cooks, all in the rain - light and heavy. Never a problem holding temps and no problems with the egg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    JDub,
    the egg never really gets THAT hot, does it?. i think if the ceramic got to 1200, maybe you'd have an issue, but i can still lay a hand on the egg when she's at 750. the ceramic on the outside never gets to dome temp really.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JDub,[p]I've had mine in a heavy downpour while cooking. It was a low and slow. It put out my fire as water got in through the daisy before I could get a rain shield on it. I relit it and didn't lose the cook though. Egg suffered no ill effects.
  • JDub
    JDub Posts: 23
    stike,[p]I cooked pizzas tonight and then after done cooking I opened the throttle to get a little self cleaning action. Held about 650 - 675 for several hours and the outside of the dome was very hot to the touch. It seemed to me that a sudden downpour could cause the kind of thermal shock that could crack the lid. Sounds like I've got nothing to worry about based upon the posts so far.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    JDub,[p]If something like that were to happen it should be a warranty issue anyway. I would think.
  • I presume you're concerned about thermal shock / contraction. All I can say is no problem so far with sudden showers.[p]
  • EggingInTheRain.jpg
    <p />JDub,
    I realize you were concerned about high-temperature cooks but I thought I would throw this in for fun. [p]Before I built my "Chicken Coop" outdoor kitchen, my Eggs were totally exposed to the weather. This picture was taken one night while I was doing an overnight butt cook. Notice that I had nothing over the Daisy Wheel and I had my Polder in a plastic bag laying on the counter.[p]It rained like this for a good hour. No problem for the Egg and the butt turned out great.[p]Spring "Nice Butt" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Fidel, the exterior shell of the egg is warrantied against cracking during "normal cooking conditions". Thank goodness for us that cooking in a pouring rain or a snowstorm is considered "normal" by the BGE folks. Trying to cook while bouncing the EGG on concrete is not, however.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Wise One,
    what could be more normal than gravity?[p]har har

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante