Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slow cook a 7 lb porkloin.

Options
Dutch
Dutch Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 7 lb boneless porkloin that I would like to smoke at approx.
225 degrees, untill an internal temp of 150 degrees. I prepped the loin with rubs and tied a quarter inch thick layer of beef-suet around it.Figure it will take 7hrs of smoke time. I will than remove the suet and char the outside on a infra red gas grill for a few minutes. My question is: Am I smoking the loin at to low a temperature?
Dutch.

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    dutch,[p]I prefer my loins done on the grill, but I know they can be slow smoked. However, I think you will find that 7 hours is too long! The question is, I have no idea how long for you to plan. Better to look at the thickness in this case.[p]You have the right meat temp....the loin will not go thru the "plateau" as there is no need because of the lack of fat. This is why I think 7 hours is a bit long.[p]I cook about everything I smoke...except chicken.....at 225º.[p]On the other foot.....plan for 7 hours and you can always foil tightly, wrap in towels and place in a newspaper lined cooler. It will keep hot for several hours when does this way.[p]Good luck![p]bbqflames.gif
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    dutch, personally I like my pork loin to be cooked at a higher temp. I usually cook it at about 350° and it takes in the neighborhood of an hour an a half depending on the size of the loin. The internal needs to be at least 150° so make sure you're getting a good internal reading and not just close to the surface. Let us know how yours turn out. I may change the way I cook.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Dutch, after reading Gretl's post below, I am more interested in how your pork loin turns out. Apparently the lower temp keeps more moisture in. I've always been pleased with the results done at 350° but maybe I would like one done at 225° more.

[ul][li]Gretl's Post[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    dutch,[p]One thing I forgot to mention......[p]With a loin that size, the temp will go up around 10º after resting(especially if foiling and storing for any length of time). So, you may want to take it off around 140-145º. I find that 160º is when they start to dry out.[p]Keep your final searing in mind also! This will again cause a temp rise. I would hate to see you end up with pork jerky![p]Not to worry.....Trichinae is killed at 137º..so you should have plenty of "cushion".[p]bbqflames.gif