Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carnitas?

WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I was thinking of trying to make some carnitas on the BGE. Has anybody tried this? My wife says that pork butts are on sale, and I wanted to try something different. Seems like somebody mentioned this awhile back, but I can't remember the details.[p]I figured a long, slow smoke (the easy part), but I'm not sure on the spices. [p]Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    WJS,
    Here is a recipe that was posted about a month ago from one of Eggers in the Southwest. Peggy said that this was something that she cooks often in the oven and it turned out great on the egg.[p]There are so many things on my To Try List.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

[ul][li]Carne Adobadas[/ul]
  • WJS,[p]I may be wrong but when I order carnitas at restaurants it is always "fried" cubes of pork. Crunchy on the outside and moist but still chewy on the inside. I have always figured they do this in a skillet and probably in pork fat.[p]Is this the same carnitas dish that you are speaking of ?[p]Of course there are beans and rice and a vegitable on the side with tortillas but for the most part I thought that this cubed, fried pork was carnitas. [p]Happy Egging... BB

• RhumAndJerk,Since this dish was uncovered in the egg did you have to add much extra fluid?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Q-BALL,
    I am sorry, but I have not cooked this recipe yet.
    I have included a link to the original post and discussion.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]