Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

frozen lid pulled off gasket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had my lid froze shut do to the ice storms in the midwest. I put two lighter cubes in waited then pulled it open. It was a little tough to get so I pulled harder and I damaged the gasket. It looks like it came off the bottom half of the egg. I want to do a low and slow butt next weekend is this something I should fix prior to that so or can it wait. I am just concerned about controlling the temp. I will be using a guru to control it.
thanks

Comments

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    hawkegg,
    As I see no answers to your problem, I will tell you what I have done. I have a large gap between the top and bottom of my egg.To hold temperatures for three or four hours, I stuff pieces of cardboard to close up the gap.It works but is a pain in the neck. Hope this helps until you replace the gasket.
    Happy eggin, and Bon Appetit. Willie[p][p][p]

• hawkegg,
    I had to get a replacement gasket this summer, none of my dealers had them in stock so I called Big Green Egg and I had it in a few days. I'm sure they could UPS it overnight if it was an issue. Good cookin' and Merry Christmas Brett

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good Lord, Willie! You don't have to put up with a situation like this! Tell us more, or, post some pics of your setup. This isn't right, and, it can be resolved........

• egret,
    Many thanks for your concerns, much appreciated.
    I have tried all the usual remedies as posted on this forum.
    The gap is approx 1/4 of an inch, from the back hinge to about 4 o'clock position. I have loosened the bands, put a shim in the front and re tightened the bands, makes no difference however.I have a new felt gasket but unable to find glue here in Niagara Falls. I will be in Myrtle Beach in two weeks time and hope to find some at Home Depot there.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Willie.

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Options
    hawkegg,[p]I would go ahead and do the low and slow next weekend if you are unable to replace the gasket before then.[p]If there is enough leakage from the gap that it affects your temp control, I would just put duct tape on the outside along the seam to seal it during the cook.[p]You will have to remove it each time you open the egg, but it will be a good incentive to not peek during the cook.[p]If you can maintain a steady temp with the gap, then there are no worries anyway.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Williw,[p]The BGE felt gasket shouldn't require glue. It's peel and stick. You should be good to go if that's what you have.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    QBabe,
    Thanks for the info, and yes it is peel and stick, dummy me,Willie