Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Turkey Problems

Options
East Cobb Eggy
East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To all,[p]I have finally looked to admit my problems for the thanksgiving turkey.[p]First, my turkey got done about 2.5 hours too early. I started it at approximately 10am (20 lb turkey) and it was done by 2pm. In fact, the turkey breast was at about 190 degrees.[p]I used a placesetter and the kitchen aid turkey pan. Due to space, I could not put the BGE feet under the pan, so the pan went directly on my placesetter.[p]Could this have been my problem?[p]Additionally at the beginning of the cook, I had trouble getting the temperature up. So I used a blower into the lower vent, what a dissaater. I think this ruined my gravy.[p]Has anyone else had any Thanksgiving dissasters like this?[p]BTW, the turkey actually came out quite well. It was moist and everyone raved about it. I was just a little critical about myself in cooking time and the gravy.[p]With Christmas coming up, I do not want to cause the same problems with a Christmas turkey.[p]Greg

Comments

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    first thing, turkey with out a bread based, crammed in stuffing cooks faster. about 15 minutes per pound. the common wisdom of 20 minutes per pound is based on a conventionally stuffed turkey. second, fresh turkeys cook different than thawed [imho]. third, you screwed with the egg. don't do that. stabilze at the desired temp, put in your meat and close the egg. if your turkey was cold [it should have been] that mass of 20 lbs of 40 degree meat will drop the temp of the egg. the btu output remains the same. fourth, i do not think the little green feet where the problem with the quick cook but it may have contributed to burning the drippings and messing with your gravy. hopefully mad max will be around tonight to lend his wisdom. lastly, if your guests liked it don't be so hard on your self, this is art not science, and if all else fails put bacon on it.
    good luck with your christmas cook
    bill

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    bill,[p]Thanks for the encouragement.[p]I realize now that I should not have messed with the BGE. However, I did see a post earlier in the week where someone recommended using a blower to get the temp up. Therefore, I wanted to admit to my stupidity to keep someone else from making the same mistake.[p]Thanks,
    Greg

• billt
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    i read your last post about being a college student,,, AND you are cooking thanksgiving dinner on the egg?!
    i must object to your use of the word 'stupidity' youth and inexperience are just that, and nothing more. it is not stupidity. please, don't be so hard on yourself. quite frankly i had a chance to by an egg almost 20 years ago and i did not, and now wish i had and i am envious that you are cooking on the egg at your age.
    [old] bill

• East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    bill,[p]Thanks for the correction. It was ignorance and not stupidity.[p]However, the same could be said for my college experience. I should have gone when I was much younger. [p]Despite that, this Spring I will be a proud 36 year old Electrical Engineering graduate.[p]Greg
  • billt
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,
    CONGRATULATIONS!

• Michael B
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,[p]It looks like you got some good advice from Bill.
    As for the BGE feet:
    Their purpose is to get the pan off of the platsetter, so you aren't frying the drippings. If there isn't enough for the feet, try something thinner. This year I used three 1/4 inch thick strips of cherry wood. 1/4 inch isn't much, but it is better than full contact.
    Congratulations to the (soon to be) graduate!

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    East Cobb Eggy,[p]Air space betwee the drip pan and whatever surface you are using for indirect heat is a must. Direct contact of the pan to the plate setter in my turkey test cooks resulted in burnt and harsh/bitter taste. Once I gave some air space all turned out well.[p]As for getting done quicker, I would think your egg was hotter than you thought.