Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to control temp at 200F

CJ
CJ Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,
I'm a newbie, having just recieved my BGE last week. I LOVE IT!!! But I need some advice as to how to start it up and control it 200-250F. It's been hard for me to keep it below 300F. I want to be able to load it up with charcoal all the way and cook at 200-250F for a very long time, low and slow. So, should I wait until all the coals are lit, and then choke it down, or should I try to contol it as soon as it initially reaches 200F? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sincerely,
CJ

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    CJ,[p]Try to control it as it reaches 200. Bringing temps down in an egg are tough. [p]You won't keep 200 easily. 250 is a good temp for just about anything you would cook. 250 dome temp is really 220-230 grid temp, so you'll be in the perfect range.[p]Bottom vent about 1/8" and daisy wheels petals open about a toothpick's width. This should get you pretty close to 250.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    CJ,
    If you are using starter cubes to light your lump...don't get fooled by the thermometer reading of the burning cube..once it burns out your dome temp will drop to some 150° and then begin to rise again..start adjusting your vents when you are around 200°....230° is about as low as I go "comfortably" any lower and it becomes a fight, unless it's 20° ambient..[p]Wess

• CJ,
    A lot depends on how you are lighting your egg as well. Load it with charcoal, then use a single lighter cube right in the top middle of your charcoal pile. It will take longer to heat up, buy will be way easier to maintain 200ish with a small initial fire. Leave the vents wide open until you reach 200, then put on the daisy wheel and set the bottom vent per Fidel's comments. I've had my egg for several months and struggled with low temps at first, but this technique makes low/slow simple.

• CJ,
    Here's a link to my webpage on the topic of temperature control. Hope it helps![p]TNW

[ul][li]Temperature Control[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz